Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thatquadguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2014
Hi,
Recently I request a refund on a MacBook Air I purchased for just over £1000. Due to apple sending out 3 faulty units to me, they offered me a £80 credit back to my original payment method after the second laptop was received and turned out to be faulty.

After the third unit I requested a refund and today I've seen my bank statement and they have given me the amount I paid minus the £80 gesture they gave me.

I understand that some people will argue that I technically received all my money back. But I was not made aware that taking this gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience the faulty units had caused me would affect a refund if I requested one.

I was also still within the 14 day return period and in my opinion a gesture of goodwill is not the same as a refund so I do not believe I should have the £80 deducted from my refund.

I had spent the £80 before the refund and I now have £950 instead of the original amount I paid which was just over £1000.

What are my rights here, am I entitled to the full amount? I am also living in the UK if that's any help.

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Hi,
Recently I request a refund on a MacBook Air I purchased for just over £1000. Due to apple sending out 3 faulty units to me, they offered me a £80 credit back to my original payment method after the second laptop was received and turned out to be faulty.

After the third unit I requested a refund and today I've seen my bank statement and they have given me the amount I paid minus the £80 gesture they gave me.

I understand that some people will argue that I technically received all my money back. But I was not made aware that taking this gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience the faulty units had caused me would affect a refund if I requested one.

I was also still within the 14 day return period and in my opinion a gesture of goodwill is not the same as a refund so I do not believe I should have the £80 deducted from my refund.

I had spent the £80 before the refund and I now have £950 instead of the original amount I paid which was just over £1000.

What are my rights here, am I entitled to the full amount? I am also living in the UK if that's any help.

Same thing happened here faulty second iPad Air 2 they offered me £50 gesture.
What worst was my third iPad Air 2 unit came with more faults so I phoned up Apple to request a refund.
Took me 17 Phone calls to Apple due to UPS messed up collection.(APPLE BLAMED IT ON HUMAN ERROR WITH UPS BOOKING SYSTEMS)
Now 4 days since UPS collected my third iPad Air 2 still no refund customer service is very bad here in the UK.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Hi,

How were the units faulty?

----------

Took me 17 Phone calls to Apple due to UPS messed up collection.(APPLE BLAMED IT ON HUMAN ERROR WITH UPS BOOKING SYSTEMS)
Now 4 days since UPS collected my third iPad Air 2 still no refund customer service is very bad here in the UK.

If UPS messed up the collection why are you calling and blaming Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.