Only got 1 issue with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAFC2403, Dec 5, 2007.

1. SAFC2403 macrumors member

Why oh why has apple crippled the iPod transfer from machine to iPhone??

I used to have an iPod nano and could essentially drag n drop tracks onto the player and manually manage the music myself - this also meant I could have music on more than one machine.

Now if I want to transfer music from say a work PC and my home PC I can't do it without wiping tracks out each time I sync.

Surely apple can't leave this out of a future software update. The drag n drop feature is what made the iPod the iPod.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It is particularly annoying, and I ran into this problem tonight after my wife bought an iPhone (that's the only problem with getting one - everyone else wants one too :)) - I have about 30 or so movies ripped onto my Mac Pro and in the past I've just dragged them across to her iPods to copy them on. I'd love to know the rationale behind not allowing this, particularly as the very similar iPod touch does allow you to do this.
    It's got to be a restriction in iTunes IMO, and I had a quick look at the iTunes resources to see if I could hack it in. Unfortunately, the iPhone prefs .nib crashes interface builder on leopard so I was basically stuck :(

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I miss that too, but i havve learned to use a sync. JUst make a folder on the left and drag everything there. Not as conveniant, but still, works great. I do hope they add this to an upcoming update though.

4. SAFC2403 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried that thinking the cover flow wouldn't work as it sees only one playlist but it works!!

Quite a handy little workaround until apple get their fingers out and sorts manual mode.

cheers