Only got wireless access to network !!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mac2thefuture, Oct 11, 2009.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

I noticed when away from a wireless network I'm unable to gather info from the network. The E symbol and the ° symbol are no longer working - I've lost edge etc. Any ideas please??

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I assume power cycling it and/or putting it into and back out of airplane mode doesn't help? Did you try restoring the phone? How long has it been doing this? Are you sure your wireless carrier's data network isn't down?

3. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried all of the above. Still taking / receiving calls and texts - simply cant get data unless via wireless.
    Only noticed this morning but think it was ok at least mid way through last week?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's probably worth calling your provider and asking them if there's an outage before you waste a lot of time troubleshooting, then.... Data services can go out without necessarily affecting calls or SMS (which doesn't use data services).

5. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone know what the latest settings for o2 are regarding apn, username, password for mmsc etc etc.
    Still no edge / gprs data.
    Thanks

6. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry for the spam - can anyone please tell me how I can get network data again other than via a wireless network?

Thanks

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Are you O2 pay-and-go or Simplicity?

Anyway, the answer is here: http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/settings.html

You have to go into Settings - general - network - cellular data and change the apn from idata to either payandgo or mobile

8. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

I use the sim card taken from my company mobile. It's about 3 yes old and doesn't support 3G but I've always been able to collect data via Edge / GPRS??

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Software updates reset the iPhone's apn to idata.o2.co.uk.

For yours it probably needs to be mobile.o2.co.uk

What does it say for the apn in Settings - general - network - cellular data?

10. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

11. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, a question and a couple of suggestions:

1. Can you post that picture with wifi turned off?

2. Try usernames vertigo and mobileweb. Try also wap.o2.co.uk, usernames o2wap or mobileweb

3. Try asking O2 customer services or the local O2 store for a replacement contract SIM card with 3G and life will get a whole lot better. I believe they'll send you one free.

12. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

Got this displayed earlier...think i'll make a visit and try and blag a 3G sim

Attached Files:

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

OK, that's on gprs and it indicates that the login is not valid for your contract. I would get that on payandgo if I tried to login to whatever.o2.co.uk that wasn't payandgo.

It's either wrong login or wrong contract - but your earlier posts make it clear you could get data before on the contract.

Asking for a new 3g-compatible SIM on your contract seems best, and while you're doing it ask what the best logon is.