Only gripe

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silroc, Jul 25, 2012.

1. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Today I wanted to put some ppt slides on my iPad for a meeting, and remembered how easy it would have been to drag them to USB drive, then plug this into iPad and drag them over. Prolly 55 seconds...

I am sure there is an easier way than emailing myself the files, but man I was bummed that this is such a cluster simply because Steve knows better than everyone.

Sorry rant over. iPad is great but this is not

2. dchao macrumors 6502a

Sorry, Steve wants you to use iCloud instead of any physical media. This is why Apple is building this massive iCloud infrastructure. This is why all the data are sandboxed, and apps are suppose to manage the data for you.

In five years time, no one would have a clue as what a USB drive is.

3. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

Serious question

How will iCloud let these ppt files go to my iPad ?

Can you explain the flow?
    Tx

4. dchao macrumors 6502a

Now Mountain Lion is released, later on, you will see iCloud compatible iWork apps coming. The new version of the apps will be able keep your ppt files on all of your iDevice and on your Mac in sync, via iCloud, automatically. Your iCloud compatible apps will manage all the syncing for you, and there is nothing you need to do.

Apple want iCloud to replace your USB drives and your sneaker net. This is why the USB port on iPad can not be used for USB drive.

5. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

Thank you- seriously

At this point and likely future, my work issued Dell with win 7 is SOL. Therefore I am still kinda bummed that today, and likely tomorrow, professionals on windows like myself are paying for the sins (or vision) of SJ

6. gummycat macrumors newbie

Dropbox?

I do exactly what you say all the time at work. I open a PowerPoint in win7, save as PDF into Dropbox, then open the PDF on my iPad in Dropbox. In fact, I then open it in NotesPlus and take notes right on the PDF. Love it.

Hope this helps!

Michael

7. silroc thread starter macrumors 6502

silroc

It does help!!!! Thanks!!!

8. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

Dropbox works great for me in these situations.

9. dchao macrumors 6502a

LOL.

Don't forget, Apple tried to buy Drop Box. But Drop Box rejected a rumored 9-figure offer.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you don't even have to convert them to PDFs as iOS can open and view PPT and Word files without a problem. (editing them is a different story) but i used to just put them in dropbox and access my PPTs through dropbox to make my life easier.

11. faroZ06, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

I just use Dropbox. It's easier than iCloud, especially because it works on every PC, not just Lion and ML Macs. My iPhone, MacBook, and Mac Pro all share the same folder of documents with Dropbox, and let's see, only my iPhone uses iCloud :p

Or convert it to iWork then save to iCloud. You shouldn't be using PowerPoint anyway; Keynote is ridiculously better. I was skeptical of iWork at first, but then I tried it and loved it, especially its Keynote. Only Numbers stinks, but I don't use spreadsheets too frequently.

----------

The problem is "will". Apple is getting too ahead of the curve here, and making stuff only work in Mountain Lion doesn't help either. Some of us (like me) don't want Lion because of its annoying Finder changes and the lack of Rosetta, a key program. Can I just @#$%ing pay $10 for Rosetta or something?

12. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

As everyone's said it already, Dropbox works perfectly.

No one's paying for anyone's sins or visions. You just have to know your way around the problems instead of blaming someone for moving forward.

It's much easier and better to use cloud services than to plug in a usb drive, copy and paste, take out and plug it into the device, and then open from device. I haven't used a USB Drive since Dropbox came to being. I invite people to Dropbox when I have to share something with them. (This also gives me 500MB more each person.) I've got around 16 GB total space on Dropbox already. For free.

So yea, it's a much better solution than USB drives. I do agree however that transfer speed is no where near as close to USB 3, but meh, it's still faster by comparison for documents and etc. It's also good for collaboration purposes.

I think you can do the same thing with Google Drive, not sure.

13. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

What difference does that make?

14. dchao macrumors 6502a

Thats a big endorsement from apple, isn't it?

15. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I highly, highly doubt that, that's just what Apple wants you to think. The desktop does have a future.

----------

iTunes...

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

okkkkkayyy, how about plugging your ipad into your computer via the USB cable, dragging the PPT file to keynote/any other app that supports ppt files via the fileshare in itunes.

Takes about the same amount of time as plugging a flash drive in to comp, copying the file, plugging it in again to ipad. (if it were not impossible)

17. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

Errr..I'll assume you don't have any iOS devices and never owned an iPod either.

You can transfer files via iTunes, Dropbox and etc.

You can use Dropbox to transfer documents and pictures.

Really, you don't need a USB port.

18. dancj macrumors 6502

On a Mac that's not too bad. On Windows the Apps tab of the iPhone in iTunes is painfully slow to use - and although it's supposed to work dragging and dropping a file out of it doesn't work so you have to use the decidedly clunky Save dialogue to get the file out. It's much slower than using a USB stick.

19. BFizzzle, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

not true at all...speak for yourself.you dont have to click save dialogue LOL nor is it any slower than my mac. Maybe you need a computer upgrade? ;) or a defrag..

20. dchao macrumors 6502a

Because you are introducing user error when you copying files by hand. File system is so old, in this post-pc era, there is no need for any file system, hence, there is not need for USB drive (which still uses the FAT file system, which was invented back in the 70's for the floppy)

21. walie macrumors 6502a

If this is the "post-pc" era, why did Apple recently introduce a new macbook pro?

22. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I rely on Dropbox will probably pay extra as it gets more full. I love dropbox all across my devices.
    I'm not fully on board with iCloud yet. Haven't tried it.