Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Something4Kate

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
London

My only gripe about my shiny new touch, and it is something I was obviously aware of before I bought it, is that there's not way to control it without pulling it out, unlocking it and touching the screen.

I know that may sound like a daft statement but picture this:

You're on a packed rush hour tube speeding like a snail though central London, you're stuffed under someone's armpit and there are some rather shifty looking characters around you.

You're listening to your iPod Touch when a track you'd rather skip comes on or a track mastered at a lower volume than the last track comes on. What do you do?

So far I've been suffering the unwanted track and straining my ears to hear the low volume stuff. With my old nano I'd just press the relevant button through my shirt pocket very discretely and the touch wheel worked perfectly through my shirt pocket too.

I know this will detract from the obvious splendour of the touch, but do you think Apple will release a compatible headphone remote for it anytime soon?

SFK

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
The sooner there is a headphone remote the better.

Touch interface is no good for a lot of situations.

Something4Kate

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
London
If you mean this then it looks like it doesn't...
Yeah, I looked at that and it's not listed as compatible with the touch.

They need to bring out the touch-specific accessories soon! I need the remote as well as a half-decent protective case that doesn't hide away the beautiful toy completely.

SFK

Something4Kate

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
London
No they mean this one, I've still got one lying around at home somewhere but I have a feeling it had a slightly wider connector to the iPod, so it probably won't fit.
That would never work. I still have an unopened, boxed one of those I bought for my old gen 3 iPod and yes, it has a non-standard wider connection which won't fit models after the gen 4.

SFK

Something4Kate

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
London
To adjust volume you can simply get earphones having volume control
No, this isn't a good solution as headphones like that work by introducing resistance to the audio signal to the headphones which kills the fidelity of the sound.

I've invested in good headphones to make the most of my music on the go.

SFK

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
well an unhelpful answer is to not care bout anyone else around you. Or not live in London lol. I feel alright walking to work with mine, but that is up north and although you might think otherwise I feel lot safer up here!

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I thought it was alreay well established the griffin fm remote works fine with the touch.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
These might work-

Check Ebay item #250171480019 (I'm not the seller)

These are dock connector remotes that don't have a FM radio, so I think they should work with the Touch.

I keep meaning to buy one, but I would like one with a Shuffle type control cluster (easiest to handle IMO). The only ones I see now are with radio, but I could've sworn I saw one before that was only a remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.