Only on 3G after Beta 2 update.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MaxPayne79, Jun 18, 2014.

1. MaxPayne79 macrumors regular

Anybody else's iPhone 5 dropped down to 3G with beta 2?

2. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

3. slicecom macrumors 68020

Yep happened to me. I did multiple full system restores and eventually LTE came back, but toggling it off will put it into 3G and it won't toggle back, so I can't turn off LTE until the next beta.

4. MaxPayne79 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting.

I even reset my phone's network settings and nothing.

Appreciate you're input.

thanks.

:)

5. slicecom macrumors 68020

It didn't work. Once I went to an area without LTE, it dropped down to 3G and never went back to LTE. I guess we're stuck with LTE for the next few weeks until beta 3. Life of beta testing. ;)

6. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Maybe it just isn't falsely labeling 3G as 4G in this release.

8. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

A good thing to do w/ Bata is setup as NEW and/or do a hard reboot ( home + power) this usually fixes most problems..

In this case just turn airplane mode ON for a min then off. It'll "Searching.." Then you be back on LTE

9. MaxPayne79 thread starter macrumors regular

This is what I'm thinking because my speed isn't purely 3G. It's much faster than that but when I surf the net via safari i KNOW i'm not pulling LTE speeds. But it's WAY faster than 3G. So... you know? lol. I don't know.

10. mvrlogins macrumors newbie

iPad 4 and 4G on EE in the UK

Just updated to beta 2.

Now iPad 4 won't make a 4G connection. Says 3G in the top right corner. Curiously, iPad says I have no connection to the cellular network while showing full bars and 3G.

4G toggle is shown and I've changed it back and forth.
    Have Reset All Setting and Reset Network Settings
    Have restarted

Still no go.

It's not a location issue as another device connects to EE 4G will all bars and this iPad has always had 4G in this location. Have also tried 2 different locations.

Worked fine with beta 1

I have no additional apps on the ipad except my own app for testing. All the setting are as default.

I downgraded back to 7.1.1 and 4G works fine.

Clean install back to 8 beta 2 and no 4G again.

11. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

Same here on iphone 5 on EE UK. Ended up downgrading to 7.1.1 as i only get edge, GPRS or lte here. 3G has ongoing faults meaning it won't connect 90% of the time!

I tried resets and restores, would work ok until it dropped to 3G then would not return to lte.

12. CrasherTech macrumors newbie

In the iOS 6 beta, AT&T paid Apple to display "4G" instead of "3G" on the status bar of your phone. 3G is HSPA, and while I believe that HSPA+ should still be called 3G, AT&T used it to say it had the only "4G" smartphone. (This was of coarse before the iPhone 5 and LTE capabilities)
    What I believe happened in the iOS 8 beta, is that AT&T must have had a contract with Apple about the "4G" name, and it recently expired. Hence the "3G" showing, as it should.
    Sorry if this doesn't answer your exact question, but I found myself on this thread wondering if other people had the same thing happening to them, and thought that I may as well post so if others like me find this thread they will see my answer.

13. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I haven't seen the "3G" show up since iOS 5.1 when they started labeling it as "4G". But lo and behold, Beta 2 has brought it back with a vengeance.

14. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

They replaced enable LTE with 3G, this is obviously an error.

[​IMG]

15. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

So I restarted my phone now it's back to normal

[​IMG]

16. slicecom macrumors 68020

I'm getting 3G speeds (ran speedtests), not LTE, and no amount of rebooting fixes it. I really think it's actually stuck in 3G, at least mine is.

17. MaxPayne79 thread starter macrumors regular

So I nuked the phoned last night DFU style and installed a fresh copy of beta 2 and now I have my LTE back along with suprisigly less glitchyness in the OS. Good stuff. I recommend this for everyone with this problem.

18. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

Did you restore from a backup onto the clean install? Or just set up as new phone?

19. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

I tried a clean install last night after having no LTE on an OTA install of b2. My observations were:

OTA b1 to b2 HAD LTE at first but lost it over night. wouldn't come back.

Clean install of beta 2 via iTunes and phone in recovery mode, set up as new HAD LTE. Seemed ok.

Restored from ios7 backup via iTunes and LOST LTE.

This leads me to think the issue is with something being carried over from ios7 update.

My next step is to reset all settings in ios7 then update to beta 2, see if that gives me LTE. I'll try this at the weekend tho.

Checked EE (UK) carrier version at each stage and was 16.0.2 on beta 1 then 16.0.4 for beta 2. 16.0 now on 7.1.1

20. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

This worked for me, and also a restart worked the next time I went to 3G.

21. MaxPayne79 thread starter macrumors regular

oh sorry. I restored form a backup.

----------

See i had LTE on beta 1 despite the terrible reception. It was on Beta 2 that over night like you said I lost LTE. When I DFU'ed the phone I restored form the back up I make from Beta 2 before nuking it, and it seems to be working quiet well.

Personally I think there messing around with the Radio file.

22. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

Even when my phone says LTE, I'm only getting 3G speeds... It's like it's falsely reporting an LTE connection when it's actually communicating through 3G.

23. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I have had this issue as well. The fastest fix I have found is turning airplane mode on and then back off. This has worked for anywhere from hours to minutes. Another fix is resetting the network settings, but this is also only temporary. I have had this issue using an upgrade OTA and using the full upgrade way through iTunes. I have installed the beta twice now and continue to have the issue on and off.

As far as speeds go, when I show LTE and do a speed test I do actually have LTE speeds.

24. /macuser macrumors member

5s here it seems like hspa+ or 4g is broken. I only get LTE or 3G.

Used to say 4g. LTE speed seems normal

25. rritterson macrumors 6502

Interesting theory, but in my location on beta 2 I only get 4G and not LTE.

I'm guessing there is a bug with the radio on one particular frequency. That's probably the LTE/4G frequency in your area, so you end up on 3G. In my area, it's only the LTE frequency.