only one excited about iOS 4.0 over iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Man on the moon, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Man on the moon macrumors regular

Am I the only one looking forward to iOS 4.0 more than iPhone 4? Don't get me wrong I want an iPhone 4 and will try my luck the 24th-27th and should be ok. The store here tends to get many units as oppose to other smaller stores. iOS 4.0 is really what should have everyone pretty excited, to see what has been added to a great iOS.

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You're the only one.

3. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

^^^ lol!

I'm certainly looking forward to both but i wouldn't mind if the dates were swapped

4. thekills macrumors member

now that itunes 9.2 is out, why don't you just download one of the millions of available ios4's that are floating around, restore your iphone using ios4 and enjoy it?

i've been playing with it all afternoon in lieu of having any sort of confirmation form AT&T that my iphone will be delivered this month....

5. Man on the moon thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure on how or where to get the iOS 4.0 and do this, also people say apps don't support it yet.

6. thekills macrumors member

but you get the backgrounds, folders, and multitasking to play with.

Edit: those are all for 3GS iphones only.

7. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I am! My iPhone 4 won't ship until July 14th so iOS4 is something to look forward to!

8. Man on the moon thread starter macrumors regular

I got rid of 3G a while ago. It got too slow for my liking.

9. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Wait, folders don't work on the 3G?

10. tuna macrumors 6502

I've been using OS 4 on my 3GS for almost 2 weeks now. And I installed it on a friend's iPhone 3G and another's iPod Touch gen2. It has been available for all compatible devices.

Honestly it is the software that should have come out a year ago to support the 3GS. Everything loads so much faster now in my 3GS, I'm actually a little pissed because it feels like Apple nerfed it to keep it from seeming too much faster than the 3G, even though it is. Customizable backgrounds, folders, and email conversation threading are all nifty features that I appreciate. Other than that, multitasking is obviously the main functionality, and most apps don't support the pausing in multitasking so my apps are still loading from the beginning.

Multitasking does bring up significant questions for me, though. Programs don't close anymore. You have to X them out in the multitask menu. Are we going to have to do that periodically to maintain battery life? Will having many programs on the multitask tray effect performance of the program I'm trying to use?

Try it out, its pretty cool. All the transitions between apps and the home screen are much faster in iOS 4 on my 3GS, so there's definitely that to be grateful about. I don't know if they just shortened the length of the transitional animations, or if there is something of substance going on.

11. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I've had iOS 4.0 for months now. The novelty has worn off.

12. tuna macrumors 6502

No, it does, I am positive. I have loaded iOS 4 onto both an iPhone 3G and an iPod Touch 2nd gen and they get folders, customizable backgrounds, seems like all the same settings... main difference is that transitions on the 3G seem to be closer to iPhone OS 3, whereas they are much different and faster on the 3GS.

13. Man on the moon thread starter macrumors regular

Nice post tuna, personally I was just wondering if people forgot about the software which can easily occur when new shiny hardware is around the corner. I'm looking forward to iPhone 4 but don't need to have it on day one like other fellow posters, I would LIKE to have it but don't NEED it.
    Reminds me of that guy who posted he wanted to cancel or postpone a job interview due to keynote on June 7th. (not to attend but follow online)

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Not on the home screen.

15. tuna macrumors 6502

I stand corrected. That sucks. I can only imagine the most cynical of motives for this. A home screen background can't possibly take up much system resources.

16. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Ohhh, Apple. Oh well. I wouldn't want one anyway. I like the boring black. I'm excited for the multi-tasking (which my iPhone 3G won't be able to do) I'll have to wait for my iPhone 4 to arrive!

17. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

from what i've heard, a home screen picture adds dynamic drop shadows to all text over the background for readability. that's some bit of gpu processing that the 3g probably doesn't have the chops for.