Only one MacBook model now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iaddict, Sep 1, 2009.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

It's been awhile since I went to the Apple Store online. There's only one current MacBook model now, no aluminum model? I am trying to decide on either a MacBook aluminum, which now appears to only be available in a refurb or a MacBook Pro 13.3 for my son that is graduating from college. I'm not sure he really needs the Pro model, so just kinda thinking that I could save a few dollars. Can anyone help me with this decision?

2. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

What would he be using it in school for. Makes a difference if he's doing film production vs word processing. You may want to ask him unless your concerned that he may "want" vs "need" a certain computer.

3. Zorginator macrumors newbie

They've renamed the UniBody Macbooks to 13 Inch Macbook Pros because there was such little difference between the 15 inch Macbook Pro and the Unibody Macbook.

The only Macbook available at the moment is the White Macbook, however this is rumored to be revamped soon.

The 13 inch Macbook Pro is the equvilent of the Macbook earlier this year, albeit with a few tweaks; longer battery, better screen etc.

It's all in the June '09 Keynote if you can find it.

4. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

need vs want

Most of what he will be doing is writing reports, doing research via internet, nothing like video editing, etc. So, I KNOW he wants the Pro model but I'm thinking that's more of a status thing for him than an acutal need. Since there's only a few days left in the student promo for a free iPod, I need to make a decision. The main concern I have with the new 13 inch Pro model is the built in battery. Am I correct in saying that it isn't like the MacBooks but has to be sent back to Apple to be replaced?

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go with a whitebook refurb from the apple store and upgrade the RAM and HDD your self...

6. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

it is not that they have changed it that much they just renamed stuff.

the mb pro series has sort of incorporated the old macbook unibody lot. they added a bit more processor (2.4gz to 2.53gz) another 2gb (2gb to 4gb) of ram and made them £20 more expensive. I went... hoorayfantasticwickedawsomeappleiloveyou!!! when I saw this - yes I was very pleased (once I figured out what they had done) cos I was just about to get one.

I would say the 13" is a bit tight on screen space - even the 15" is pushed when using logic but the 17 is a bit ridiculous if you ask me - just too big to be comfortable. of course it depends on what he will use it for but I know I am grateful for the extra screen even when using pages or just browsing the net.

the price may have changed with SL out now but that is the history.

PS your son will love it so much! (he is a lucky b... - I am 16 and I had to save up for it and Logic studio myself - that took a while! :()

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I've only had my MacBook for a week (bought it used) and I love it, but I do miss the Aluminum casing of my PowerBook. I guess it's just feels more sturdy.

That said, the $200 difference (IMO) is worth the features.

I needed an Intel chip for some new work I'm doing so I got the cheapest thing I could find for now. I'm just saving up and getting by with what I have for now. (Oh, but what a big jump from PPC 867 to a Intel C2D... It's like going from a 1997 beat up Honda Civic to a Lincoln Towncar! Oh, wait. I did that yesterday, too.)