Only One Website Runs Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rberg84, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Rberg84 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    About 6 months ago I bought a 4 GB IMac. I have had no problems until recently when my school website that I use daily has began running very slowly. All other sites load fast for me, but this site takes minutes to completely load. I have accessed this site from other computers without any issues. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how I can fix it? I have updated all software, including OS X. I'm not so tech savvy so any good explanation would be very appreciated. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check to see what plug-ins, extensions or ad-blockers you may have running that could interfere with the site loading.

Check your DNS settings by reading: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

3. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

GGJ-
    Thanks for the advice. I looked into the link your provided and it took me to my DNS settings. However, when I followed the steps it brought me to another link on this site that contains information regarding 10.5: Disable DHCP-specified DNS servers http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20080725172011439)
    It brought me here because the DNS server number is "greyed out" under my network settings.

Do you have any advice on how to fix this problem? I tried reading the forum but none of it makes sense to me or tells me how to fix this.

I appreciate your help
    Thanks again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What numbers are showing for your DNS servers?

5. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not a DNS server. That's your computer. Leave that and add the OpenDNS or Google DNS servers, as indicated in that link.

7. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I added OpenDNS. Can you tell me what that is for? I can now give you these numbers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A DNS server converts a domain name (www.google.com) to an IP address (173.194.67.103)

9. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so is that supposed to fix the problem? Is there anything else I should do because it's still acting up.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's the link to the site where you're having problems? Perhaps it's something on the site.

11. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's to my school. http://flashline.kent.edu

I have visited this site from a few other computers without any problems. It just seems to be my computer and it happens every time. I have to log into that site and the loading for logging in is even worse.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Are you having this problem only at school or is it happening outside school ?

It's starting to sound like the schools subnet is configured wrong if you can access all other websites. Deductive reasoning says its your school not your computer.

13. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am accessing school from my house (my computer). I have went to the library, friends houses, etc. and had no problems loading my school from those places, thats what makes me believe it has something to do with my computer.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok.

Have you gone to any other website that uses encryption and requires a secure connection and required a username and password ? And if you did was that site slow ?

15. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have gone to other sites, they work fine. This is the only site that loads slow for me.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok.

Last question.

Do other students have the same problem. That you know of ?

17. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

No one has not said they have a problem, that I know of.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ok well. I give up.

Good luck.

19. Rberg84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thanks for trying!