Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
What a let down! I cannot believe the Apple TV doesn't have digital coax audio out along with the optical. How odd...

Anyway, the rumor is a new Apple TV would be coming because of the HD content on iTunes now, etc. Think there's a chance that they give more audio options? The current choice of R/L or Fiber Optics is not good enough for me.

Any thoughts? Does this bother anyone else? I think I'll wait on the new Apple TV... what do you think?

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
Does not bother me, but I guess that only because I use HDMI for all of AV component connections (also have optical in on my receiver as a backup)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
You can purchase an optical-coaxial DAC (digital audio converter), which solves this problem. Apple have no reason to try squeeze both connectors on the back of such a small unit. I believe they picked the right one.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
All modern A/V Receivers have optical in. I see no reason to provide a digital coaxial output too. And there is converter's for those who don't have optical in.

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
Thanks guys. I have an older unit that requires digital coax input for digital sound. I asked a knucklehead if there was a converter and he said 'no'.

Think I can pick up a converter at Fry's?

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.