Only Optical Digital Audio???

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Scott-n-Houston, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

What a let down! I cannot believe the Apple TV doesn't have digital coax audio out along with the optical. How odd...

Anyway, the rumor is a new Apple TV would be coming because of the HD content on iTunes now, etc. Think there's a chance that they give more audio options? The current choice of R/L or Fiber Optics is not good enough for me.

Any thoughts? Does this bother anyone else? I think I'll wait on the new Apple TV... what do you think?

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

Does not bother me, but I guess that only because I use HDMI for all of AV component connections (also have optical in on my receiver as a backup)

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You can purchase an optical-coaxial DAC (digital audio converter), which solves this problem. Apple have no reason to try squeeze both connectors on the back of such a small unit. I believe they picked the right one.

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

All modern A/V Receivers have optical in. I see no reason to provide a digital coaxial output too. And there is converter's for those who don't have optical in.

5. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. I have an older unit that requires digital coax input for digital sound. I asked a knucklehead if there was a converter and he said 'no'.

Think I can pick up a converter at Fry's?

Thanks again.

6. gadabout macrumors member

should be able to find on there. they look like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=504&sku=40019

7. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a ton for the info! This site is awesome.