only picks up some wireless networks

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sfniners2012, Dec 3, 2012.

1. sfniners2012, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

sfniners2012 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a 1st generation and it's having problems connecting to my wireless. Previously it worked great and then one day it stopped connecting and it's been a nice paperweight ever since.

*it picks up 3 other nearby networks, but can't see my own unless I'm 2 feet from the router
    *it will connect (weakish signal) when I'm 2 feet away, but disconnect & can't find the network when I walk a few feet away

Here's what I've tried so far
    *reset network settings on iPad, turned airport mode on/off, reset router, turned wireless on/off, threw it against a wall (jk), and restored from backup
    *I went to my friends house and her iPad connects to her network so I tried mine and it was the same problem. It doesn't pick up/show her network, but it does show 3 networks around her
    *I went to another spot with wifi, it picks up the network and connects, my confusion level creeps up to an 8
    *now I know it's not a hardware, and seems more of a glitchy software?

*so it can pick up networks, just not the ones I want
    *I just read while in the middle of typing this to try restoring but not from backup so more of a clean slate so I'll try that tonight

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this selective network problem and what they did to fix it. Thanks for any help!

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I had a problem with my iPod touch 5G. It connected to my work network, all free networks, my neighbor's network - and remembered them. It did not like my home network (Linksys router) and while I could get it to connect after a few attempts, 10 minutes later it would be off line and I'd have to do the song and dance routine of re-entering my password. That got to be such a pain I entered the password in Notes and then would just copy and paste it.

Finally came across a solution in the Apple community boards: Forgot my home network, then went to "other," added the name of my network, entered my password, then told it to renew lease. Never a problem since then.

Hope it's of some help to you.