Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Yep, agreed, it performs well - given that it's flying from the DVD and isn't properly optimised. I monitored CPU use across 720P playback and web browsing (no video playback on Youtube - probable GPU issue) and it's pretty close to OSX - although out of the box, there's no audio - that adds plenty of cycles once it's set up.
However, Lubuntu/LXDE is very basic compared with the luxury of OSX - so performance might dip once LXDE has a dock and enhancements etc.
But yes, if you can survive without the Mac core apps and visual/audio creative apps then Lubuntu sits well on a Dual G5.

Funny, I've never had any problems with audio on Linux. I might have to double check, though.

There are plenty of alternative apps. I've heard they're quite good.

Question, if you have the Lubuntu 16.04 DVD, when you're booting it up, after yaboot, but before the desktop, does it show the Lubuntu logo with the white dots against the dark blue background? Mine doesn't. Just a dark blue screen.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
There are plenty of alternative apps. I've heard they're quite good.

Question, if you have the Lubuntu 16.04 DVD, when you're booting it up, after yaboot, but before the desktop, does it show the Lubuntu logo with the white dots against the dark blue background? Mine doesn't. Just a dark blue screen.

Believe me, there are many apps there's simply no adequate alternative to :)
Yes, dark blue screen, no logo - I could have played with yaboot parameters but just went with it raw.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Believe me, there are many apps there's simply no adequate alternative to :)
Yes, dark blue screen, no logo - I could have played with yaboot parameters but just went with it raw.

Now, hold on. I didn't say they were adequate. ;)

Ah. Perhaps that is a Ubuntu/Lubuntu 16.04 PPC bug. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.