Only Retina for next MacBook Pros???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smoking monkey, Feb 26, 2013.

1. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Do you think Apple will only offer Retina MBP for the next iteration?

And I'm guessing that we will see Rev 2 come around September this year.

I'm using a 2009 17inch MBP and will be looking at upgrading later this year.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

why? The price is too high for entry level. $1,199 seems unlikely given the cost of the retina screens.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I use to think the cMBP would be around for another cycle - however I am not thinking its 60/40.

Will they drop their best selling laptop(13" cMBP)? Maybe :)

4. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I also thought there is no way they would drop the Classic, but just recently I get the feeling they could be up to something.

I hope they don't though and I'm still sure they won't. But anybody with an idea of parts roadmaps will have a better insight into this compared to me.

5. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I was thinking they would drop it but I think they'll keep the 13 inch cMBP for another cycle. Everyday I look out on a sea of 13 inch cMBPs on campus with a few airs mixed in. I just can't see them dropping their most popular laptop until the retina version can match that price. If they drop anything, my bet is on the 15 inch cMBP.

6. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I don't think they will quite match the price of the cMBP, but they just recently dropped the price of the 13" rMBP by $200, and if it drops another $100 with Haswell they might be reaching close-enough territory.

7. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

You're probably right. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Air drop a bit in price to become the entry level consumer model. I'm surprised that more people haven't bought into the Air. I know they sell well but I see my students (I teach freshmen in college) with new cMBPs every year.

I've asked a few what made them choose that model and the answer is almost always the HD space. I know I could never go back to a spinning HD after having an SSD. I'd rather use an external for my media and enjoy the benefits of a SSD. Then again, I am the professor, so naturally I have more wisdom : )