Only SOME Custom Ringtones available as SMS Tones

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Mliii, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I have a number of custom ringtones made from various sources- some made with GarageBand, some purchased.
    In IOS 5, there is an option to use custom SMS tones for individuals in your Contacts, but only some of my tones are showing. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which tones show and which ones don't. It's not based on size of the file, the length of the tone, the name or source.
    I've tried to figure this out with no success
    Anyone with suggestions? Thanks!

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Are they definitely listed in the Ringtones category in iTunes?

3. d0ster macrumors regular

When you say that the length of your tones does not make a difference, are they at least under 15 seconds? IIRC it has to be under 15 seconds.

4. Mliii thread starter macrumors 65816

Mliii

They are ALL listed as ringtones when you go to modify a ringtone in your Contacts, but they are not all listed when you try to add them as a Text Tone in Contacts.

----------

I thought that too, however, many of them that do show up are longer than 15 seconds and many of the ones that do not show up are shorter than 15 seconds.

5. PatrickOMFG macrumors newbie

I have a 27 second long ringtone I used to use as a text tone up until an hour ago, and it worked fine.

Isn't the limit 30 seconds?

6. Steve109 macrumors newbie

I thought the limit was 30 seconds, just checked and got a 21 and 25 second ringtone working as an SMS tone

7. prestomusic macrumors regular

The maximum length for ringtones is actually 40 seconds. I've just done some quick tests and the maximum length for other notification sounds appears to be the same.

8. Gonz19 macrumors regular

I have the same problem. It only shows the last 4 ringtones on my list. Have done restore, uncheck, sync and select, sync and still doesn't show all tones.

9. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

I bought a alert tone off of iTunes and not getting any "alert" sound when it's selected.

10. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I'm having the exact same issue. I have six ringtones I've obtained by various means, much like the OP, and while all of them show up under the Ringtone settings, only half of them show under the Text Tone settings. It's very strange.

11. RyanCrazy, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

RyanCrazy macrumors newbie

Seems its a sync bug of some sort, but to fix just uncheck the box to "Sync Ringtones" sync your phone, then go back and Re-check the box again, and sync. all your ringtones should be on your phone now.

Ryan

12. fxapple macrumors newbie

fxapple

After updating to iOS 5 and preparing to sync, I noticed all of the catergories except photos unchecked. When my custom ringtones didn't show up after syncing, I went back to check the ringtones box. Doing that caused a pop-up box saying I can only sync with one Library at a time and checking the box will delete the info on my iphone and replace with the iTunes library. Same thing happened when I checked the unchecked boxes for the other catergories. Sorry but I'm confused.