Only Sounds are Ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rburly, Feb 1, 2009.

1. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

This morning I spilled some Crystal Light on the counter where my 3g was. I took the case off, wiped it off with a towel, and let it air dry. (Not much liquid on it)

I noticed that when I tried using it there were no clicks. I can use Safari, but there are no sounds. No iPod music, no game sounds. The "Sound Off" switch is on (not turned off). I checked the settings, Settings>Sounds>Ringtones, those all work. The sound is perfect, so the speaker works. SMS sounds don't work. I checked all the settings for Sounds and all are turned on.

It's been 5-6 hours and still no sounds (other than ringtones). I've searched the Troubleshooting Forum and nothing really similar, and I don't see any pink anywhere that I've heard about for the Liquid Sensor.

Any ideas? Should I just wait to see if it works itself out? I have it on a towel upright. What's the warranty on these? I bought it a few days after Christmas '08.

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Try plugging in some headphones and unplugging them a few times.

Might think there are some headphones in there for some reason.

3. rburly thread starter macrumors 6502a

rburly

Thanks for the reply.

I discovered that the volume control is for headphones now (that's what it says). I've tried multiple times plugging in and out (getting that arrow next to the battery) but it still won't make sounds other than headphones. Is there a switch somewhere to change from headphone to speaker.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

This happens sometimes, and is probably unrelated to your spillage. There's probably some dirt in the headphones socket that's making your iphone think headphones are connected.

I fixed this on my own iPhone with a single one second blast of Dust Off into the socket.

5. rburly thread starter macrumors 6502a

rburly

I tried blowing into the headphone jack, but no luck.

I don't have a can of Dust Off here. If it doesn't work its way out by tomorrow, I'll take it back to the AT&T store. :(

6. markel253 macrumors regular

I had that problem a while ago - rebooting my iPhone did the trick.

7. rburly thread starter macrumors 6502a

rburly

That did the trick! Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Thanks to you other guys who replied also.

8. sparkyms macrumors 65816

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

if your phone is water damaged it's not covered under warranty

glad it fixed itself

10. fedup flyer macrumors regular