Only the Stock Mac Pro offerred at retail apple stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gunga Din, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

Do Apple retail stores usually offer different configurations at a later time, or can you only get the stock Mac Pro?

The store is in a tax-free state, so it would be nice if they had more options.

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'm sure you could customise the mac in the store and pay exactly as you would online, minus the tax.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I know for certain in the UK the Apple retail stores only offer the stock models — if you want an upgrade on anything apart from RAM you have to order online…
    But in the US, YMMV. :)

4. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Just spoke with someone at the Retail Store. The only option there is to buy the Stock. They will not have a customized computer sent to them for pickup (just incase anyone else was thinking of saving on tax).

She also said it was unlikely the single quad core processor would ever be sold via the retail store. The higher end processors might be an option later. For now its the 8 core 2.8 only. Also, the 8800gt cards were not instock and she wasnt sure when they would be.

So with EDU and Tax Free State. The Stock would cost me $2599.00

I was thinking about ordering the single processor with the 8800gt for $2329.00 (but i'd have to ship that to a friend in Delaware etc).

Should I just pick up the stock? Get it this week, upgrade the vid card down the road? 8 core over 4 core? Even though i dont need that much power lol. The stock for that price looks good if you consider the EDU and tax free options.

5. je1ani macrumors 6502

tax free bastards :mad: I have to factor in an extra $200 :(