Only thing holding me back from Windows 7 is...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Aug 18, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

... the lack of a true classic theme. The classic theme they provide is just the Windows 7 theme in grey. I want one identical to 95/98/ME/2000 or XP/Vista's classic theme. I know this sounds stupid, but I honestly love that UI more than any other UI I've used. Mac OS X's/Ubuntu's, Vista's Aero, and the new Windows 7s UIs just don't compare.

Is there ANY way I can get Windows 7 to have the classic theme? If I just moved Vista's classic theme files to my Windows 7 computer would it work? Is there a third party that has a Windows 7 classic theme?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Really? That is holding you back? That seems rather silly if you ask me but to each their own.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Classic is Classic but with the right amount of Aero fluff in 7 it might be time to move on.

4. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

:(

If someone would make a classic UI working in 7 and charged 10 dollars a download they would make a killing. *wink wink*

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What's this not-really-classic theme? Screenshots?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only thing holding me back from windows 7 is....

The cost
    The viruses
    The bloat
    The activation
    The windows genuine advantage (phoning home)
    The malware
    The high hardware specifications
    The bugginess
    The crashes
    The UAC
    The security holes
    The ________ file in the blank :D

:p

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah that sounds about right!!

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I paid £44.99. Bargain I say after using the early versions!

Haven't used AV on a Windows machine for many, many years and I don't have a problem with viruses.

How else are you going to fill the hundreds of gigabytes your computer's hard drive came with unused?

Do it once, lasts forever.

I've got nothing to hide and if you buy it then you don't either.

Once again I haven't had any problems in this regard.

Have been using the RC for several months now and haven't noticed a single flaw in the software.

Since starting using the RC one program has crashed on me one time. That program was Street Fighter IV, and the problem occurred when I accidentally disconnected the machine from the network while loading a friend's profile.

The what?

Which are patched very quickly, unlike on OS X where they only get patched if enough media attention is given to them.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't think you are, that looks pretty damn classic to me.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Id pay 29.99 for windows 7, in reality I should get it for free for enduring vista during its early release.

12. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Never checked this out before

But after reading your post, I went off and discovered that the entire iWork '09 suite has about the same system requirements as MS Word alone. That was one eye-popping discovery! The OSes are the same ratio, too. I'd been wondering for some time what the differences in system usage was. Just bizarre.

Cheers! :cool:

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I use Classic XP on my work computer and it looks identical to that.

15. vniow macrumors G4

Eeeeeew.

16. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

couldn't have put it better my self, I dislike vista with a passion, everything is an extra step to perform. - So no windows 7 for me

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Me too. I tried the beta version of win7 and wihile it didn't suck as much as vista, it was still windows.

As for the folks who don't mind activation or the windows genuine advantage. I've read enough stories about how that gets all messed up and locks down your machine. While it may never happen to a particular person, it does happen. Plus there's something wrong about proving your innocence to a company convicted bad business behavior (monopoly). While I have nothing to hide, i.e., I buy all my software, I take exception that they have to continually check to make sure my version of windows is not pirated.

Personally, all I need in windows can easily be done in Ubuntu, without the viruses, the instability, the bloat (heck ubuntu can run on 512meg of ram). The needing to phone home and you cannot beat the cost - free :D

When I'm not in OSX, I'll be booting up ubuntu or running ubuntu in a vmware session.

18. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I am the same, i run Windows Xp in a VMware or FreeBSD. I dislike vista alot so there is no way i will be moving to windows 7 from what i have seen it looks to much like vista.

19. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I just wish Microsoft would price point their OSes the same as Apple does theirs......

No upgrade versions, just full copies.

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Microsoft has announced that the full version of Windows 7 Home Premium will be priced at just £65 ($106) in the UK.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49303374,00.htm

21. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

22. no.1 Apple Fan macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

Not to mention lameness.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never had a virus on my bootcamp partition (3 years old), never needed formatting for performance reasons, never had a problem. Ever.

All I want is Windows XP style layout with a Windows classic skin. I've tried Vista and had it on my new PC for months but it's as if they're actively trying to stop me changing the basics. I wanted to view file extensions - I clicked around a bit but eventually had to turn to the internet to solve this problem. It's just so poorly designed. Why is sleep the default shutdown selection?

Oh I'm giving up. I think I'll be sticking with XP for a long time to come. For performance and logic it quite wins.

24. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It satisfies what you are looking for though - you mentioned you want it priced like Apple's, well they beat the price and then some! The full version of Snow Leopard is £149!