only thing keeping me away from the current macbioks are the non led screens thread

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jjahshik32, Apr 5, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont know about others but for me I love everything about the current macbooks and would consider selling my macbook pro and getting since I already have a powerful mac pro + I don't game on a laptop.

But only reason I'm staying away is because I want led backlighting on the MacBooks. I guess I'm spoiled from the led backlighting and I can't go back. But once the led is implemented I'll grab a MacBook with the quickness. I just wished they put the Same led screen from the MacBook air onto the MacBooks.

I bought and returned the MacBook air because it was too slow/ran hot/fan too loud/easily pushed to its limits/missed the super drive. For the price I still think the MacBook has the best performance/price.

I wonder if the next revisions of the MacBooks will have the led backlighting.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would think that apple will get LEDs in all of their laptops by the end of the year. i think that was the general idea of their plans of moving toward more eco-friendly components.

3. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I just bought a Blackbook to replace the MBA that I just sold. I'm extremely disappointed with the screen. I can live with the dimmness, but why the hell does it look so washed our? My 4 yr old hp monitor looks better than this.

4. quest4apple macrumors member

Are you sure you got a good one. I have the white macbook, which I think has the same screen, and it isn't washed out at all.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I had passed on buying a Macbook back in February at BestBuy because the screens looked washed out. I instead bought a iMac.

Then I began seeing posts where people were unhappy with the dithering on the MacBooks. This last Wednesday, I decided to order a BlackBook from the Apple store and I got it Thursday afternoon. I turned it on and immediately calibrated the screen. That took care of the washed out look and I have to say i am extremely pleased with my MacBook. If I place the MacBook side by side with my MBP, I can clearly see the MBP is brighter but that is about it. The colors are identical. The MacBooks viewing angles kind of suck especially while viewing a movie and you move an inch.

I'm extremely pleased with my BlackBook overall.

6. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Calibrated the screen ? I have a blackBook how do you do that ? Im turning mine on now see were its at.

7. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

Never mind I found it. You could really find out some good stuff here reading all the posts, great forum....
    Witch setting did you use to calibrate ?

8. EdLee macrumors member

Hi,

I purchased my BlackBook at Best Buy a week ago and was really upset with the screen it had. The dithering was awful...major banding on all shadows, etc. IMHO, it was a POS.

It is definitely the panel brand and not something software related. I exchanged it over the week at the same Best Buy and it had the same issue. I finally went to the Apple store today and asked if they could do anything. Unfortunately, other than a repair, nothing they could do. I decided to head to another Best Buy for another exchange. Got one now with a different panel and it looks great.

From my understanding, the panel I had was identified in ColorSync as 9C5B, which corresponded to the Samsung TN panel. According to a lot of other forums, this panel is horrible (and I can attest to). Today's panel was identified as 9C5F, which is the LG/Philips panel, and is definitely a marked improvement.

The MacBooks with the Samsung panels were made in the 12th week of 2008, while the LG was made in the 9th week. Unfortunately, you'll never know until you open the box whether or not you get the bad panel. Just keep returning it until you get a good one. :)

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

How do you look up the panel version? I am guessing that I have the same one as the one you just got today because my display looks great.

10. EdLee macrumors member

System Preferences -> Display -> Color

Open the default profile.

Under number 13, you'll see the information

9C5E/5E9C - Chi Mei N133I1
    9C5C/5C9C - Au Optronics B133EW01
    9C5B/5B9C - Samsung LTN133W1
    9C5F/5F9C - LG Philips LP133WX1

My understanding is that the LG and AUO are decent panels. Chi Mei is middle ground, and Samsung exhibits bad dithering.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Excellent! I have the same one as you which I why I am happy with mine.

Thanks for the reply to my post!

12. Natsu macrumors member

um... sorry im a newbie and just wanted to ask what are Led screens?

13. macrack macrumors newbie

I can confirm my 2.2 SR has the 9C5F/5F9C - LG Philips LP133WX1 and it looks great for a macbook. I also use a customized calibration profile and the "2.2 television gamma" option selected.

14. jay1097 macrumors member

Yay I have an LG philips display!!! :D
    And as my grandfather used to say w00t!

15. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I just calibrated my MacBook and was shocked to see how yellow the standard profile is. Now my display is much crisper and the viewing angle isn't near as yellow. Yay.

16. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

This is my 17" hi res led mbp in matte and see how compared to my 23" cinema display how much more clear/vivid/brighter it is and its 2 notches down from the highest and gets even brighter than this! Also keep in mind its taken from a camera (which does no justice). [​IMG] Led screens use no inverters and it saves more battery life/more efficient/never dim over time like ccfl does 50% every year)/life span is much longer.

17. rhyx macrumors 6502

I have the Samsung and it looks like crap =\

I'm guessing this isn't something I can get Apple to swap out now.

18. EdLee macrumors member

How long have you had your MacBook?

I know for certain that if you go in to get it repaired, you will get the same brand display. Only way to get what you want is a swap, and then you have a 1 in 4 chance you'll get the same display.

What is your date code? I'm thinking I'm going to create a new thread regarding this so we can help people out. Also, wondering if I should contact Apple directly regarding the issue with Samsung...

Ed

Edit: we're at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467198 now regarding the Samsung...