Only trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cool11, Dec 9, 2013.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Mbp has the best trackpad among laptops.
    I would like to get rid off my mouse completely but I do not know if this is the best thing to do.
    I would like to handle my mbp completely with trackpad, but is it a wise decision?

Using only trackpad:
    - is it flexible
    - fast enough
    - convenient
    in comparison with mouse?

Till now I use it only for some internet browsing.
    There are many heavy duty apps, like Photoshop or Dreamweaver, that I choose to use mouse. Is it because it is better to use these programs with mouse? Or it is just a habit from my computing years?

I find myself being speedier using mouse than trackpad.

I know that this topic is also a matter of personal preference too.

What do you think about it and how much do you use your mbp trackpad as the (only one?) main way to navigate in your mbp?

2. Ann P, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

Ann P macrumors 68020

"I find myself being speedier using mouse than trackpad."

If productivity is important, then you've answered your own question.

For every day browsing, Facebook, writing papers, etc., the trackpad serves me just fine. For those who are frequently organizing or editing photos, a mouse comes in handy but still manageable without. Why not keep one around just in case? Even a tiny compact one would do.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I have a mouse, this is not the point. I use them both.
    I find trackpad more comfortable for my hands. I like when I can use it, relatively relaxed.
    But, that's it.
    Beyond that?
    Time and speed is a serious factor.

4. ChangshaNotes macrumors newbie

I use the trackpad for almost everything even with my iMac but I also use BetterTouchTool to add functionality to it.

I also use a lot of keyboard shortcuts through Keyboard Maestro, where I might have used the mouse or trackpad before but for 'fine' work, especially photos in Lightroom or Photoshop I still prefer the mouse.

5. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

For maximum productivity and speed in my case the rodent wins. Magic Mouse for my MBP over the trackpad and an Anywhere MX over the Magic Trackpad for the Mac Pro.

6. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I have the magic mouse and sometimes I forget I even have it lol, nifty little device though.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a dedicated MM for my rMBP, but to be frank, I don't use it much at all. The trackpad does pretty much everything I need. I do use the mouse if I'm manipulating images etc. but that's about it.

8. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I'm a poker player. I spend 8 hours a day playing and I multi table a lot (8 to 10 tables). I love using my trackpad when browsing and doing other simple things like moving files around in Finder etc but I need speed when playing and, even if I can do it with the trackpad, I can do it better and faster with my Magic Mouse. Plus, I use BetterTouchTool to add some gestures that really help me. Also, you may comfortably sit back while only using your mouse (when no keyboard is needed) but you can't really do that while using the trackpad.. at least I can't.