Only two custom ringtones working on iphone 3G S running 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by livingonvideo13, Jun 23, 2009.

1. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

*** UPDATE - Figured out that you have to copy the ringtones first to the library.ringtones folder. I was just dropping them onto the iphone. ***

Something really strange is happening when I am adding custom ringtones. I am making 30 second or smaller mp3s, converting them in itunes to ACC, and renaming the extension to m4r.

Everything works fine expect when I add more than 2 to my iphone. When I start adding more than 2 ringtones, they all have the same name as ringtone number 2 and they all play the same. In iTunes when when my iphone is hooked up it shows all the correct ringtones.

Anybody else seeing this problem? Attached is a screen shot of the ring tone showing the same name on my iphone.

Attached Files:

2. livingonvideo13 thread starter macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Ok I just tried this again with a different iphone 3G running 3.0 on a different computer and it does the exact same thing. ONce you put 2 custom ring tones on the iphone, it does not show the new ones but keeps showing the 2nd ring tone multiple times.

Anybody else confirm this also? I am wondering if this is a new bug with the 3.0 update or if they made it so you can only put 2 ringtones on the phone that you made yourself by renaming it to m4r.

3. livingonvideo13 thread starter macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

So am I the only one that has ever tried to put more than 2 custom ring tones on their 3.0 iphone?

4. HD303 macrumors regular

HD303

I have over 15 custom ring tones on my 3G S and do not have the issues you are raising.

5. livingonvideo13 thread starter macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

Thanks for replying. Since I knew it was working for somebody else I figured it must be something I was doing. I ended up trying 3 different phones (1st gen, 3g, 3gs) and on Mac and PC and kept getting the same result.

I finally figured it out!

You MUST put the files in the itunes ringtones library first and then sync them to your iphone.

I was dragging and dropping them from a folder directly onto the iphone which results in all the ringtones showing up as the same name and sound on your iphone, even though they show differently and play differently in iTunes when showing the ringtones folder on your iphone.

This is a bug and I will report it to Apple.

6. briashley macrumors newbie

Ringtone Showing in iTunes NOT in iPhone

Okay, so I am having a similar problem with my ringtones however they show in my iTunes folder (under the iTunes library/ringtones and my device/iPhone ringtones list) and show that they sync but then they are not in the custom ringtone list on my iPhone. I purchased one straight from iTunes and it works fine but the ones I have created will not show up on the phone. I have checked the file format (.m4r), the size (883kb), the folder (My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Ringtones), the length (29sec)... all aspects seem to match the purchased version... what could I be doing wrong or what step am I missing to get them to show up on my phone? Curious... Please help!

7. ericxd macrumors regular

where is the intunes ringtones library located?

8. s.downs macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue as briashley (that is adding ringtones to the iphone as instructed but after sync and restart there's no new ringtones on actual iphone) wondering if anyone else has come across the same problems or knows how to fix it easily (on a mac)

9. mmcs macrumors newbie

simples

u just need to delete the newly created AAC version from ur itunes library before syncing ur phone

10. aloose macrumors newbie

still wont sync more than 2 ringtones

All ringtones are in the itunes ringtones library; AAC versions have been deleted from itunes music. Synced, reset & synced again. Phone still only shows 2 ringtones.

11. clementsgal macrumors newbie

similar problem

managed to tranfer 4th ring tone ok. 5th ringtone shown in itunes library and in iphone library when connected but no show on iphone at all. Tried to syn 3/4 times no luck.