Only use Apple cases, anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by noobinator, Sep 22, 2016.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I'm starting to think I'm a bit crazy but I really only will use Apple cases or go naked. I read all the posts on the forums about other brands and some do look nice but I just can't do it for some reason. I like the look and fit of the Apple cases. I just feel like a logo from another company makes my phone look not as nice. I know that Apple is super expensive but to me it's worth it.

My co-worker brought out his 4 or 5 or whatever cases he picked up on Amazon for $8 each and I wouldn't use them if they were free. Most are pretty hideous looking. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Again, not saying all look bad and I don't have any issues with whatever people want to use, it's their money and phone after all.

Just curious if anyone else is like me and only will use Apple mainly? I will use another manufacturer if it doesn't have logos and is minimal. For example, I'm waiting on a PowerSupport Air Jacket for my iPhone 7 Plus.

2. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I feel you man. I hate cheap cases. I'll use Apple but mostly leather cases like vaja and mujjo is how I like to roll.

I'm loving my apple battery case actually.

3. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I actually want to use apple cases, but the protection factor is the biggest issue for me. (and the exposed bottom seems like it could lead to scratches / scuffs on the bottom of the phone)

I think the cases look great on the phone, but then when I see companies like tech 21 & spigen (my go to cases of choice) they actually advertise & promote the protection aspects.

Apple briefly mentions in on the website "to protect you phone", but beyond that....nothing else (and there's the exposed bottom)

I wish apple would offer a 4rd category of official cases (after silicone, leather. battery) with an emphasis on better protection.

With all that being said, I've never actually used an official apple case, so they could do well with drop protection. I've asked a few members on the board & many say that the case has protected the phone from falls & more, so that's cool.

4. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I mainly buy the cases to prevent scratching on the back and sides rather than fall protection. I have been using silicone and leather for awhile and never had a screen break. I've dropped them many times too, sometimes on pavement at 4' or so. I've also never had any damage to the exposed part on the bottom. Perhaps I've been lucky.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

I used to feel the same way.

I used Apple's cases since iPhone 4 (with bumper). But the last case I used, Silicone Case for 6 Plus, left a very bad impression. The case literally fell apart within 9 months of use, first the bottom lip, then it cracked in two, then in three, then front lips disintegrated. Heck, I even purchased a new one for 6S Plus thinking it was a fluke. Well, it too fell apart more or less the same way, but 6 months instead of 9.

I took it to Apple Store several times but they refused to replace it saying it's normal wear and tear. Well, considering I never dropped the case and the only abuse is slipping in and out of my pants several times a day, I was greatly disappointed by poor build quality and customer service.

Perhaps Leather Case is more durable, but I just don't like how the texture adds too much friction to vertical scrolling.

6. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

I agree 100%. Ive always felt that 3rd party cases felt cheap and made the phone more bulky and hideous.

That said- I received a free iPhone 7 case from Amazon the day before my 7 arrived. I have been using it almost a week now (I ordered an Apple Leather case but it still hasn't shipped yet) and i've actually found that I am thoroughly enjoying this free case. A small part of me wants to cancel my Apple order and save the $50, but the majority of me knows when the Apple arrives, my mind will change. Im just kind of shocked that i'm actually enjoying the 3rd party case.

7. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

Third party cases can be awful, but there are a lot of great ones, that's for sure. People have different needs and tastes that the Apple ones just don't deliver on. I like wallet cases (or more specifically card slot ones on the back), so I have a whole bunch from manufacturers like Spigen, Sena, Designskin, and others. Apple doesn't have one for me.

8. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I'm the same way, Only cases I used for the 6 Plus and the 6s Plus were apple silicone and leather cases. So far with my 7 Plus I am going naked, but may grab a saddle brown leather apple case.

This year the Nomad leather case has my interest also though and if I can get my hands on one soon I may try it out and see if it can sway me.

9. plasticmoz macrumors regular

I was doing this, till this year's Speck Presidio Grip -- feel like they nailed that one.

10. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I've used an apple black leather case on my 6S since I got it because I had a $25 gift card I needed to use up at an Apple Store and I love it for the most part. I miss having a battery on my phone but I typically carry one with me if I'm going anywhere major anyway. Almost always 3 charges worth of batteries in my pack if I go anywhere major.

I may get leather again after a while. I have a JB 7+ coming sometime next year (feels like it anyway) that I have a glow in the dark skin and clear case for plus there's an otterbox coming from the Apple Store soon too.

Leather has held up well for a year of drops and dings with very little wear and no marks to the phone. I do have a glass screen protector as well though. I NEVER go with a naked screen. I convinced my super clumsy coworker into a tempered glass screen protector after her 3rd busted screen and she's not broken one since but she's peeled off a few screen protectors... that's enough convincing for me lol

11. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Always been an apple leather case guy ever since the 5S but the leather 7 case is garbage this year. Feels cheap and the leather is all bunched up in corners... I ordered one before I even had my phone and returned it a few days later. I've gone with a nice spigen case this year.

12. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

I have used a vast variety of cases both from apple and many 3rd party. Yes there are some cheap cases that are hideous and cheap. But there are also tons of great cases from Lifeproof , Otterbox and many others. Don't sell yourself short only looking at Apple products.

13. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I just bought an Otter Box Commuter and I think it is an amazing case! Does not add to much bulk and I feel my phone is really protected against a drop.

I used bumpers in the past and used the Apple leather case for the entire time with my iPhone 6s but this time I wanted a little more drop protection.

Otter Box Defender is to big for me but I really like the Commuter series!

One thing for sure, no way I would not have a case on this iPhone 7! A stick of butter is less slippery that this phone without a case!