Only using Windows to download - VMware or Parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ozreth, Jul 7, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So Im tired of having to leave bootcamp running forever when I am downloading files, particularly when they are large (games, movies etc).

I am going to install a virtual machine so that I can keep uTorrent running and still work in OSX.

So if this is all I am doing in Windows while it is running on a virtual machine, does it really matter which program I use?

Also, I have 4gb of RAM, would it be inadequate to designate 3 for OSX and 1 for Windows 7 64bit? Or should I do 2/2?

thanks guys : )

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

3. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

along with several other apps for torrents.

I guess it doesn't matter if the VM application doesn't cost anything :)

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I know ha, I mostly download/install my games via steam though, which takes around 6 hours so I'll need to have windows running anyways.

5. karthiks macrumors newbie

6. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Hehe ok :p I use Fusion and I'm very happy with it.

7. captainbeyond macrumors newbie

There is also a version of Steam for Mac. Also, If you plan on running windows games through Steam, you will probably want to upgrade to 8 GB of RAM to use a VM, or run Windows through Bootcamp.

8. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I know there is Steam for Mac, but there are hardly any games out for it yet, at least not ones that I want to play : /

I won't be playing my games via parallels or fusion, I'll be playing in bootcamp. But it takes about 6 hours to download a game from Steam, and I don't want to be stuck in Windows for 6 hours out of my day. As the title says, I will only be using Windows in the background to download my games during the day. When I want to play them I will then log into Windows via bootcamp.

Just going to download both and give them a shot. Thanks guys.