Only viewing specific images when browsing, blocking all others?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CliftonHighgrov, Dec 4, 2014.

1. CliftonHighgrov macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

At the moment I disable all images in Safari when browsing (using the Develop menu) to conserve my mobile data allowance. But when I find a page I actually want to view images for, I have to re-enable images universally, which loads images for every open tab, including those in minimised windows.

Anyone know of an extension, or a whole other browser, that would allow me to block images universally and then only load the ones I specifically choose, either per page or even per image placeholder?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mobile data allowance? On a Mac?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Take a look at this. I think you could install an adblocker extension and set it up to block all images, then when you come to a page you want to see the images, you could just pause the adblocker.

I know there are extensions where you can click the placeholder for Flash, but I have not seen anything like that for images.

4. CliftonHighgrov thread starter macrumors regular

CliftonHighgrov

Hi,

I actually already installed the adblocker plus extension, and you're right, it was easy to have it block all images (well, anything ending .jpg, .jpeg, .gif and .png).

Unfortunately it doesn't offer the option to unblock a specific image, it's either the whole page or nothing at all.

Also, disabling ABP to view a page's images also causes it to load all the ads. The only way around that would be the deletion of my image-blocking filters every single time, with their subsequent re-creation.

So, it's definitely a step-up from Safari's Disable Images menu item, but anyone able to improve on this solution in any way?