Only Windows on a Macbook for Gaming

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LANopop, Aug 2, 2011.

1. LANopop macrumors newbie

I know a lot of people will hate me for this, but i want to install only Windows on a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air (Not sure which one i will buy) and i know that it is possible, but that is not the reason why i opened this thread. To clear the important things first, here are my requirements/questions:
    • DVI-D Output (i have a samsung 2233rz Monitor which i will run with 120hz)
    • Minimum of 3 USB Slots (Headset, Mouse, Keyboard)
    • Enough Power so i can play at least Counter Strike 1.6
    There is a DVI-D Adapter (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY) in the apple store, but would this also work with a MBA?

As far as i can see the MBA only has two usb slots. Would it be possible to connect a usb hub, so i can use up to 4 usb slots, or is that too much power draining?

You would help me alot by answering those questions for me :)

2. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Well, its possible.
    You will need a miniDisplay to DVI, i

Counter Strike will run without any problem on windows on either MBA or MBP

For the USB, it shoudnt be a problem as long as your headset is not a "high-power" usb device)

There is a thunderbolt port on the MBA so the adapter will work without any problem

Hope that helps...

But... Considering the amount you are spending for the :apple: premium, have you looked some alternative?

3. LANopop thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i need a 13" Laptop or smaller and there is no PC that has a dvi output with that size, and i think its worth the money.

4. ReddDraggon macrumors member

There's plenty of Laptops available with HDMI outputs though, all you need is a HDMI to DVI-D cable.

5. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Just do yourself a favor and make sure that you don't totally wipe out Mac OS X. If you ever have hardware issues or anything and want the machine serviced, Apple isn't likely to troubleshoot in Windows. Make sure you leave enough of a partition of OS X to operate, with a little bit of room to download updates etc.

If you truly only want to run windows, then I'd agree with the other posters, it makes little sense for you to buy a Mac. It's like buying a Ferrari just because of the color--then ripping out the engine and replacing it with one from your old Honda.

I'm not knocking your preference, if you like Windows then have at it, but I can't see how buying a Mac is sensible for you.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Don't get the Air if your going to be gaming. Go for the 13" Pro, it has a larger heatsink/fan.

Trust me your lap/palms will thank you for the better cooling.

7. LANopop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your posts so far.

I always thought that hdmi only supports up to 60 hz, but now i found this hdmi2dvi-d cable so i will try that with my old laptop and then decide which laptop to by :)