Only works in 'home country'

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cnotes2019, Sep 15, 2017.

1. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Not only are you restricted to your "home country", you are restricted to your carrier's own network. No roaming is supported even to related carriers within your country.

Dave

2. Hedberg macrumors member

And furthermore only 10 countries can buy Stainless Steel versions of the watch now. How can this be any good for the sales of the Apple Watch? Did they feel forced to launch LTE without having proper deals in various countries?

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

I still see it as a bonus feature that you can either choose to use or not. And it doesn't cost any more, - unlike LTE iPads... So it's a positive no matter how iffy the situation with connectivity is.

4. Hedberg macrumors member

What do you think about that you can't buy Stainless Steel Apple watches in any countries except the ones that supports cellular from day one - aren't they losing a lot of sale? I wanted a Stainless Steel but can't buy one here in Denmark

5. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

In foreign countries i will have to have my phone with me all the time.

6. WilliamG macrumors G3

That is very unfortunate. :(

7. profets macrumors 601

This is such a strange scenario. Only a handful of countries can currently purchase a steel or ceramic Apple Watch. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more chatter about it.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

But -- won't the S3 LTE watch do calls via the phone and BT/Wifi like the Series 0/1/2 have been able to do?

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes that is the "default" behavior. It will use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth until you are out of range and then the LTE takes over. The issue is that people want to travel with their new Apple Watch with LTE had have it work just like a "worldwide" phone would.

Dave

10. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'd gladly walk to the corner store from home without the phone, but if I'm another country, the phone will always be on my person. It's useful, it's my camera, and it's also safer with me than wherever I'm not.

11. pcorrado macrumors 6502

This doesn’t surprise. Since the watch only works with carriers with a number share solution, I imagine roaming would be difficult to set up and implement. If not impossible.

12. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

They haven't worked out the standards for VoLTE roaming yet (the carriers - i.e. the GSMA). The is Apple giving the carriers a reason to get it sorted out. It's pretty damn shocking that they didn't get this all ratified before they started implementing LTE networks....pretty damn short-sighted if you ask me.

I am quite curious about the "home country" thing though - considering it's the same model for Canada & the US.