Only write permissions, even on root account!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davesmith99, Jun 26, 2010.

1. davesmith99 macrumors newbie

There is a folder on my mac that holds the program files for a program, I only have read access to the whole folder and the files within it, even when using the root account. I am not looking to edit an files, just rename one.

How can I do this? I have looked online and found no help.

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. davesmith99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Under sharing and permissions it says "You can only read"

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you change it then?

You may have to unlock the settings by clicking on the LOCK on the bottom right. Then select a user and click in the PRIVILEGE column to select another privilege.

5. davesmith99 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What is the name of the program, the name of the folder and the name of the file and the location of the folder and the file?

7. davesmith99 thread starter macrumors newbie

The file is TS3.ex_ and the application is Sims 3, the location is /Volumes/Sims3/Games/Bin

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So the location of the file is on a CD or DVD? Or is it a mounted disk image (.dmg, .iso, ...)? CDs and DVDs containing actual program files don't have write privileges. The disk image might have no write privileges too, and the file looks like a shortened Windows executable (.exe). Are you trying to crack the game?

9. davesmith99 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the game has been already installed so it is not on a DVD and no I am not trying to crack the game

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But the location of the file suggests it is on a volume called Sims3, which either indicates, it is on an extra partition or HDD called Sims3 or on an optical medium called Sims3 or a mounted disk image called Sims3 or a removable storage device called Sims3.

/Volumes
    Mounted devices and volumes, either virtual or real, such as hard disks, CD’s, DVD’s, DMG mounts, etc​