onSale.com Shady

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wakerider017, Apr 16, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I ordered a new external HDD from them last Friday morning. They marked it on their order status page that it was shipped on Friday. But the tracking info they gave was bogus. Most everyone knows that UPS tracking numbers always begin with 1Z and are 18 digits long. The number they gave me was about 30digits long and did not begin with 1Z (They said on the order page it was shipped UPS)

So I called them today and they said they could not give me the tracking number because of "security" purposes. WHAT?!?

I have NEVER had an online company tell me this. He offered to connect me to a UPS rep and I agreed. Apparently the package was just picked up today and the only information given was "origin scan". No estimated delivery yet. (This can be normal though when shipments are new, also if they shipped it late Friday it would not get in the system today)

I then asked the UPS rep for the tracking number and he just gave it to me. Thought there would be some resistance but he just said ok. This was a real number that he gave me and it does work.

Here is what the tracking page looks like: (As you can see it does not have my location or estimated delivery listed. Hopefully this comes later tonight.)
    [​IMG]

I hope the package actually comes.

Isn't this weird that onSale.com would not give me the tracking info?

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

3. SeaFox macrumors 68020

SeaFox

I wonder if they're affiliated with onRebate.com. That was a shady group.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Guess we'll see soon enough. Keep us posted.

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I will keep you guys posted.

I have just never had a company refuse to give me a tracking number.

In fact most companies e-mail you a tracking number when it ships...

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

UPS doesn't usually show the location or estimated delivery until it's on it's way (your package tracking is only indicating that it's been scanned into the UPS system).

Sometimes when companies indicate that it was "shipped Friday", that means they printed the shipping label and got it ready. It might have have actually been scanned into the UPS system until today, which is accurate with what the tracking info is showing.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, email -- you phoned them, right?
    It could be a matter of identity over the phone -- lets say that I'm your 'buddy' and you've just bragged (maybe on an internet forum?) about buying this new piece of kit.
    I call up the seller and say "Wakerider here, I'd like to get the tracking number on my order." Then I call back and say "There's a problem on my order tracking numer X, I need you to change the shipping address to 1234 Scammer street. Right, thanks"

Or something likethat may be what they are afraid of. But --- they did connect you to UPS and you got the info you needed, right? How shady could that possibly be?

I'd consider changing the thread title to something less perjorative.

8. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

They refused through both e-mail and phone. The listed a bogus number on my account page. It looked like this: 2834727567894576847689476BOB3847534758934753478

(Yup the word BOB was in the middle lol)

I offered to verify any and all of my info but they still refused.

The rep on the phone, put me on hold, called UPS, told UPS the situation and then transferred me over.

I guess he figured I would not ask UPS? I have no idea.

IMO that is pretty shady. (They are probably doing legit business, but why are the doing the above things?)

Usually I am not this anal about tracking info, but I ordered an expensive product that came out just days ago. In other words I was not sure onsale.com actually had it.

When they refused to give me tracking info it really just made me suspicious.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Hey, at least they don't use DHL. I just had issues this morning with them. Got the guy on the phone to admit that their level of service was not on par with other local shipping companies. (in the US at least, I hear the rest of the world is within the "good customer" bubble.)

10. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Really? I have had noting positive come from DHL. They are crazy fast especially with Apple repairs.

I really don't have problems with UPS or Fedex either. Just have problems with some shippers.