iPad Pro Onscreen Keyboard Question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BrettJDeriso, Nov 13, 2015.

1. BrettJDeriso macrumors regular

Okay, admittedly, I skipped a couple generations of iPad before buying the Pro, so don't flame me if this is too noob a question, but...

What's with the multiple onscreen keyboard formats??

I thought the keyboard in iOS was a core software element, but I notice most of my apps on the Pro use a gigantic version of the standard Apple keyboard (which is quite ugly at this scale), and other areas -like the search, unlock, and preferences screens use the new "number row" keyboard. Is there some secret to making them all use the latter, or is that up to the developer? I prefer the new layout.

2. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I *think* those big, blown up, ugly keyboards are apps that have not yet been optimized for iPad Pro. I absolutely LOVE the new keyboard, and it's a little frustrating to try and type in another app that hasn't yet been optimized.

The joy of being an early adopter, I guess. :/ I still have a lot of "blown up" apps on my 6 Plus that I've begrudgingly learned to live with, but I may start dropping apps on the Pro if they don't update over the next few months to the proper iPad Pro scale.

3. BrettJDeriso thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case. It just seems weird to me that an app cares whether you have numbers on the main keyboard or have to drill down for them. But then, I'm not a dev, so what do I know? uploadfromtaptalk1447433523312.png