Onscreen recorder?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by IwantImac, May 16, 2011.

1. IwantImac macrumors newbie

Hello,

since I got my new iMac, I wanted to do some recording. Unfortunately many recorders won't work with mac os X.

My question is easy, which recorders do you use and which one should I take:
    Fraps, Hypercam, etc?

2. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Quicktime X does screen recording, and comes with OS X. For most people's purposes, this will be fine.

A popular alternative is Camtasia from TechSmith, which can be bought from their web site or on the Mac App Store.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

If you are looking to capture your webcam, then iMovie or maybe Quicktime as suggested.

I don't know what capture capabilities Quicktime has. I'm unaware that it can capture what it happening on your screen.

If you want to capture screen actions, streaming video or other things that take place on your screen I recommend Snapz Pro X.

4. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

Screenflow is regarded as the best app for screen capture.

5. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

• Open Quicktime Player
    • File
    • New Screen Recording...
    Will record audio sources like microphones, etc. just fine. You can also set the quality. Just works. I've used it for recording demos and tutorials many times for clients. Use iMovie for editing later on.

6. IwantImac thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried quicktime and it was great, but I wanted to record certain areas of my screen. Unfortunately that's not possible with quicktime player :(

7. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Either crop it in iMovie, or use a different application (Camtasia, Screenflow, Snapz Pro X) to record only that portion so you don't have to edit afterwards.