Onsite service for Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by karmarce, Feb 15, 2008.

1. karmarce macrumors newbie

Just received the brand new Mac Pro (Early 2008) with the optional 8800GT display card 2 days ago. The new machine (OSX10.5.2) keep crashing with Photoshop CS3 (10.1). Called the technical support at Apple and tried everything they suggested but the situation hasn't changed. I finally called the customer service to ask for a replacement unit as the same combination (OSX10.5.2 and PSCS3) work perfectly fine on my little MacBook.

What they told me was ridiculous:
    "you did not purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) and that means you have to carry the machine in to our service centre to have it inspected"

Does anybody know the difference between a one year warranty and the APP? I had a G5 PowerMac before and I did not purchase the APP either but last time they sent in a technician to fix the power unit.

Maybe my 2-day-old Mac Pro is too young to have the onsite service...

2. jeffmc macrumors 6502

over the phone is different, you're covered for in store support for the mac pro for a year, but you have "limited" phone support. which is basically more or less one phone call, after that phone call, it'll cost $50 a whack.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I don't think Apple has ANY support that does On-Site repairs (unless maybe it's a corporate account), like Dell has.

I believe all Apple repairs are either done at an Apple retail store, or shipped directly to Apple.

As for the warranty, other than phone support, which you only get 90-days on the standard warranty, whether you have Applecare or not shouldn't matter. Buying Applecare when you buy the machine only extends the phone support during that first year. You already get service support for 1 year regardless. That's why most people say, wait until that first year is almost up to decide to buy Applecare or not.

-Kevin