Ontario ISP Selection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 06Honda, Aug 2, 2011.

1. 06Honda macrumors regular

I am using a local ISP in kingston but the service is terrible, constant connection issues via PPP0E Broadband hard wired setup. Salesman at Best Buy mentioned that Mac has a router built in for Bell canada. If this is true how does it work for wireless setup and is it reliable. I have thought about a data stick but they seem quite costly for a decent data plan. Any information would be most helpful, loving the new mac big time. Updating everything at Starbucks as I type this. Hope to be able to use it at home more.

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

mac's do not have an integrated router per se. They have a wireless card that allows you connect to the internet wirelessly. You can also connect an ethernet cable to a mac and share your connection to others on your network.

Hope this helps.

3. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

So to go wireless i would by a product such as Airport Express.

4. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Are you trying to establish a wireless network?

If so you would a wireless enabled router. They are available as cheap as 30$. Then you could have to connect your cable or dsl to your modem then connect the modem to your router. Some routers might have an integrated modem.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Airport is express is a little different, Airport Extreme is a router.

If your home connection is slow, that's due to your ISP and the cabling in your area. The problem is at their end and no amount of hardware you purchase will solve that.

6. 06Honda thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the great feedback, much appreciated.