Onyx a good idea?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imanidiot, Dec 8, 2011.

1. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

Just curious to know whether there is a consensus of opinion about whither Onyx is worth considering for system maintenance. I used it periodically for awhile until I began to have problems with it moving files around---specifically iBank files---I would open the program and my account info would be missing for some reason, though I could always hunt it down---and I started losing several days of emails, which I would have to recover manually. Anyone else have this trouble, or was it simply user error?

Thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've been Using It

For a good few months now, but tend to use it only to run scripts and clean up. For proper disk verification and permissions checking I still use DU.

On the whole, its worth having although I've never had to repair my disks ( fortunately) so can't comment on how well it performs in that area. I think it's something new users should avoid.....It's pretty easy to screw up a system if you don't know what's what.

3. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'm sure I started having trouble because I really didn't know what I was doing and probably checked something I shouldn't.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Onyx is a reputable, trusted application that many find useful. Having said that, you really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

5. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I think I'll leave well enough alone, as I know just enough to get myself in trouble. I suppose I fooled around with it because I spent years working on PCs, which required frequent defrag and disk optimization. Old habits die hard. As I mentioned in the initial post, I started experiencing missing files, etc., which were not, in fact, missing, but were to be found in unexpected places due, I'm sure, to my doing things I shouldn't have been doing re the various maintenance and cleaning settings in Onyx. Live and learn.

Thanks for the replies, all.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know what you mean. I spent years "maintaining" Windows systems, including manually cleaning the registry. One of the reasons I'm so pleased with Mac OS X is I don't spend any time "maintaining" it, and all my time being productive in using my computer. It does take some getting used to, but you'll enjoy the hassle-free aspect of using Mac OS X.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Hours I Spent

In reg edit.....Maybe Microsoft would like to re-imbursh me?:D