Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasareed

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
I tested with the current CNET installers, and that Spigot folder you refer to is indeed removed by the current version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. That folder is something I've known about for quite a long time; the earliest versions of AdwareMedic removed it. Even the AppleScript precursor to AdwareMedic, my Adware Removal Tool, removed it.

I can't comment on why it didn't get removed for you. Perhaps that item got inadvertently unchecked in the detection window before you did the removal, or perhaps you had a permissions problem that prevented it from being removed. I don't know. Whatever the case, though, your experience is not normal, and something unusual happened.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I can't comment on why it didn't get removed for you. ...
I did not customize the scans nor was I given an option to customize the scans. I just launched the utility and let it do its thing.

The explanation for the failure to remove the Spigot executable is simple. Just reread my earlier posts on this issue. AdwareMedic/MalwareBytes did not remove the Spigot executable because neither AdwareMedic nor MalwareBytes detected it.

thomasareed

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2015
The explanation for the failure to remove the Spigot executable is simple. Just reread my earlier posts on this issue. AdwareMedic/MalwareBytes did not remove the Spigot executable because neither AdwareMedic nor MalwareBytes detected it.

I have to disagree, as I know for fact that that Spigot folder you refer to is detected and removed by both programs, and I have personally tested against the current version of Spigot being installed by the download.cnet.com installer to verify that this hasn't changed. Anyone reading who wishes to repeat the test can do so, although I should note that willingly installing adware isn't something to be taken lightly.

ComputerHacker

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015
I've been using Onyx for awhile now and it really helps speed up my computer. ClamXAV I would run every once in awhile no reason to run it everyday but it is another good program if you want to check is there is malware on your Mac.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I've been using Onyx for awhile now and it really helps speed up my computer. ClamXAV I would run every once in awhile no reason to run it everyday but it is another good program if you want to check is there is malware on your Mac.

OnyX is placeboware. It is harmless, but neither does it do much good because almost everything that it does is done automatically by the OS. ClamXav is an antivirus utility. There are no OS X viruses in the wild. Adware is a problem, but ClamXav does nothing for adware.

Reactions: KALLT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.