OnyX (and other maintenance utilities) - How does it do it?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abeck510, Feb 9, 2009.

1. abeck510 macrumors newbie

My PowerBook G4 has been running slow for a while now (its 4 years old!) and I ran OnyX to try to optimize the performance. I cleared cache's, deleted logs /CrashReports, and plenty of other maintenance things. It worked great, and really made my laptop go way faster, but HOW DID IT WORK? I have no idea what it did to my computer and I would like to make sure I didnt delete anything important. Any info on how to use OnyX would be awesome also. Thanks

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It just runs maintenance scripts that OSX sometimes/rarely does, simple as that, it just removes old, broken, corrupted files, that are of no use anymore, it will not corrupt anything.

3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I have found some info on the net that helps inform me of what it does but not on the newest versions. I'd really like to know what every option did for me and then I can choose what I do/don't want to do with it.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Have you tried looking at the Onyx help files? ;)

5. amrk47 macrumors regular

if you would of restarted your computer it would been the equivalent of running onyx

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

About 100 years ago (or so it seems) when I was asking too many detailed technical questions of my instructor in my first Computer Science class, (questions which were beyond the scope of the class and "over the heads" of the rest of the class), my instructor would give me an answer which may apply here:
    :D