Onyx difficulties

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imanidiot, Sep 24, 2011.

1. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

I have until recently run Onyx every 10 days or so to do maintenance/housekeeping. However, the last couple of times I find myself losing 2-3 days of email. It's still on the computer, it's just not in my inbox anymore. Same with the odd file/folder. Can be found, but just not where they normally live. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Thanks.

----------

Just wanted to add that rebuilding my inbox doesn't bring the missing mail back, and in iBank, my account is missing---have to find it with spotlight. I'm now afraid to use Onyx and am considering deleting it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have never used Onyx and my mac runs as well as the day as I got it.

Any scheduled maintenance tasks that are setup in cron will run when you start the computer up. Using an app to manually run them is superfluous.

My point is running stuff to clean up your mac is not needed and could cause problems if you go too far.

3. imanidiot thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate the response. In fact, I just deleted it. Like using the Norton AV (which I rid myself of a couple of weeks ago, also on advice obtained from this forum), I'm trying to unlearn habits from my PC days.

Thanks.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Onyx adds some value in some of things it allows you to do, but running maintenance scripts is not one of them imo. OSX does a great job at managing itself, any other app to "improve" that generally does not.

5. blatopilot macrumors regular

There is a tab under cleaning I believe...I think its in "misc". It says remove recent mail downloads or something to that effect. You can uncheck that.

Otherwise, I like Onyx quite a bit. For free, it is nice to have. I mostly use it to clean up internet cache since I use multiple browsers and don't restart often.

6. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Onyx actually did speed up my laptop a bit or so it felt also i like the fact that you can do some basic tinkering with it. e.g. change the screenshot format.