Onyx for Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sfosch, Dec 14, 2013.

1. sfosch macrumors newbie

hello, i am new here. I just installed onyx on my mac. I have already the mavericks system. After i launched onyx it showed me the message i need to restart my mac with pressing "R" for repiar and repair some stuff ( i don't know anymore what it was). So i did it, i restarted and with pressing shift + r and a loading bar showed under the apple logo while launching. The problem is - this bar comes to like one tenth and then my mac automaticly turns off. This is really werid because now i can't even turn my osx on. I would like to ask anyone who have a clue on this issue for help. I will be very grateful for any advice. thanks

2. madrich, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

madrich macrumors regular

madrich

Why do not think you Onyx with Mavericks? I would delete it and try Mavericks alone first. A lot of 3rd party software is not compatible with Mavericks; even if the developer says so.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

By default Onyx runs a disk check when it launches and it sounds like that check found a disk error and prompted you to boot to recovery and fix the error.

Try doing a command-r boot to recovery and from there start Disk Utility and do a repair disk and tell us what you see.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Onyx as with most third party "maintenance" apps is unnecessary, my suspicion, if you have recently become a OS X user, you can stop the old Windows habits of installing maintenance tools to keep OS X running smoothly. It is designed to do that for you. My suggestion, simply uninstall the app.

5. sfosch thread starter macrumors newbie

hello everyone, thanks for the support. I launched the osx with the command + r option and started to check my hard drive. It finished the check and told me to repair my disc. After launching the repair it showed me an error and thats: The program disc utility can not repair this disc. Archive as much data as possible, format the disc and reconstruct the archived data. The problem is I can not get to my osx to archive my important data. And I can't uninstall the programm either as i can't get to the osx. Any suggestions?

6. sfosch thread starter macrumors newbie

so the alerts are:
    after launching verify disc: Error: Live file system repair is not supported.
    amd them after hitting reapir disc: Error: Live system repair is not supported.
    if anyone have an idea how to repair my mac, share it with me please.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't be concerned about trying to uninstall Onyx as that is not causing the problem. All that happened is what I mentioned, Onyx does a disk check when it starts and it found this problem for you. Removing Onyx won't help as you still have the underlying disk problem.

You can't repair the disk while you are running the system off that same disk. Like Disk Utility said, you are going to need to boot from another disk or USB key and reformat the drive then reinstall everything. Do you have a Time Machine or other backup because this will erase all your data?

You also might try the utility Disk Warrior, but it is not cheap.

8. sfosch thread starter macrumors newbie

hello, thank you for your help. i haven't got any backup.. :/ i have an external disc drive so i could rewrite the data but again the problem is I can not get to my osx. Is there any possibility to access the osx, then copy the data and then format ?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Aside from an aftermarket utility like I mentioned, I don't know how you are going to be able to access the data since the drive/file structure is corrupted.

10. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

diskwarrior, definitely. has saved me...twice.