OnyX HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benfilan, Apr 22, 2007.

1. benfilan macrumors 6502

benfilan

I just used the 'optimize' option on Onyx, thinking it was like the defrag option in windows, restarted my computer, and now safari has reset completely, all my favourites have gone, mail has reset, all my accounts are gone, iTunes is empty (over 20gig of music) please please tell me how to fix this!!:confused::eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Start off by verifying the disk in disk utility.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do you still have all your documents because if not sounds like the symptoms produced when you rename your home folder.

Try this KB article

4. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

wee bit more guidance please...

o, i think it was because i renamed my home folder.
    but i still dont quite understand what i should do.

i renamed my home directory 'Benjamin Campbell' from 'benjamincampbell'
    in the users folder, theres a benjamincampbell little house, and a Benjamin Campbell plain folder. what should I do?

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Rename the existing "benjamincampbell" to "benjamincampbell_new" then change "Benjamin Campbell" back to "benjamincampbell" like it was before...logout, then log back in and everything should return to normal.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

well i would create a new user named something else log in as that user then rename the one that does NOT have your data in it. So the one called benjamincampbell if i am not mistaken. Then rename Benjamin Campbell back to bejamincampbell then run repair permissions in disk utility then log out log in as usual.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You could try that but it may recreate the folder the moment you rename the existing one. But try that first^. Then if not my idea should work.

8. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

rockstars

you guys rock. seriously. everything is now back to normal and my heart has returned to my chest. :D
    one little niggle :benjamincampbell_new - can i delete this?
    benjamincampbell - my rightful home folder is exactly that - it isnt a little house anymore. can i fix this?

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

hmmm well my only thought would be is create a new user to get the house log in as that user go cmd-i click the house copy it paste it onto a different new blank folder. Then log in as your main user then do the same thing to move it from that folder you copied it too.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hmm...your little house should come back. The "benjamincampbell_new" can be deleted as long as you didn't save anything in there.

11. benfilan thread starter macrumors 6502

benfilan

disaster averted!

thankyou so much guys. very much appreciated!:)