Onyx question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sOwL, Aug 23, 2008.

1. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

I recently optimized my system with Onyx, just to find out that instead of improving the applications's launch times, they just got worse. Is there any way to "undo" the optimizing, more likely optimizing it back to how it used to be?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

when you launch apps after running Onyx the apps re cache. so just open up all of your apps and then they should open fast after this.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You cannot expect OnyX to make a positive difference in your application launch times. Optimization in the MacOS X sense means to prebind an application to its supporting frameworks. This is done automatically by the OS. In the early days of MacOS X it was sometimes not done. In that case, the app was bound when it was launched for the first time. In the best case scenario, you will waste more time running OnyX than you can ever hope to save by having used it.

4. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Yeah I agree... Os X (particularily Leopard) pretty much maintains itself near flawlessly.

IMO i find it fascinating that technology has come so far it can maintain and repair itself when it needs to.

Its just like a human body... call mee weird, but im still amazed by the fact a body can heal itself so efficiently and well.

5. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i thought Onyx was only useful for running the cleanup scripts. there's more to it?