Onyx says disk needs to be repaired?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ikermalli, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I just ran Onyx a few hours ago, then went out, but it said my disk needs to be repaired. Which is weird because I got the MacBook yesterday and there have been no problems, I have not had to force quit anything or forcibly shut down the mac.

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

sometimes it happens right out of the box

you have to boot off the Mac OS CD that came with ur MAC and run disk utility
    and fix it from there

3. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, if I run disk utility is there a way to back up all of my stuff? How long does i take?

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Use TimeMachine for the back up..
    Disk repair times could vary i suppose.

5. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, my MacBook will be fine if I do it tomorrow because I need to sleep now.

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

You'll be able to sleep KNOWING your MacBook has a problem!?!?! OH MY GOD! :eek:

:D

7. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

HAHAA! I'll be able to sleep knowing I'm tired. My mac is running fine, yet I have a problem, how could that be, I will check back in the morning.

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Haha right on.. Well hopefully you get it taken care of.

9. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll run it in a few hrs adter school. How long does the backup take from time machine? I have a few songs and 7 new programs. Also 3/4 of zoolander

10. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

If its your first back up it could be lengthy. The more often you do it, the quicker it goes..

11. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, I am supposed to use time machine right? Would you recommend using an external drive? How big are backup files? Also how do I set yp time machine? It says set up time capsule then it just takes me to airport express utility over and over again. Oh, and now Onyx says my disk is fine..?

12. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Look up 'Time Machine' under Mac Help (Finder -> Help -> Mac Help)

13. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Just go into Disk Utility and highlight your hard drive, and click Repair Disk, if anythings wrong, that will fix it.

15. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

But now it says it's fine, should I still do that?

16. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Do it just to be safe. And while you are there, repair permissions too. Don't worry about the data, it should be fine. If you are really worried, just copy the important stuff to another computer

17. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, I verified the disk permissions now I am repairing the permissions. Also how can I maximize battery on my MacBook, I like the battery life right now, I have been using it for 1:30 and I hace 77% battery left with disk utility, adium, transmission, limewire, firefox with at least 5 tabs, iTunes and downloaded limwire (all programs running simultaneously except disk utility, just started it). i saw the better battery life option, but does it change the look? Also is my mac supposed to lag sometimes if I have all my programs running at the same time, downloading a video and running disk utulity.

18. greenday123 macrumors 6502

The lag your getting is probobly being caused by disk utility, it's best to not use anything when your verifying and repairing your hard drive and permissions, that way it will get done faster, and i don't know how to help you with your battery life question, 77% left after about an hour and a half with all those apps open sounds like good battery life to me, the only thing i can think of to make it better is to calibrate the battery if you haven't done so already.