Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

Came across this free ONYX software by Titanium.

Anyone using ?
safe ?
effective ?

caveats ?

Bob

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
I have used OnyX a couple of times. Some of the tools you can use without much caution. To avoid causing a problem I would advice to use the help feature, to read about what the various checkboxes and buttons do.

I havn't used all the bells and whistles of OnyX, but as I understand, some of its features are safe to use, others can cause a problem, where there is none.

So pop open Help, from the Help-menu, before venturing too deep, and you will be fine.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
a) It's a front end for Terminal commands. Far better to know the commands and what they do on the rare occasions that they are needed.

b) It fixes nothing except things that the OS ignores such as Permissions—not an issue from El Capitán onwards—and corrupt Preferences that cause no harm—the App creates new ones if needed.

c) It can really, really screw up your Mac if you don't know what you are doing.

Crapware, IMO.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Not crapware. I've been using OnyX for years and while it does nothing more than what you could do yourself with the proper commands, it's convenient, free, and is supported very well by the developer. As long as you use it in its default mode, it works fine. Certainly a lot safer than "Clean My Mac" which is not only expensive but also sometimes overzealous in what it cleans.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I didn't say I don't love Onyx. @ $75 hour to un-Onyx a Mac, I like it just fine.

Otherwise, absolute, pure, unadulterated garbage.

You're right—it's free and worth every penny. Can't say the same about DiskWarrior—another app that does nothing useful (and never did).

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I would imagine many if not most old-school Mac users are using Onyx. I'm guessing OP isn't an old-school Mac user as it'd be hard for me to believe that anyone who has owned a Mac for at least 3-5 years in their lives wouldn't know about it (aside from those who have zero tech-savvy). I've used it for a decade although I only tend to execute the Maintenance scripts (5-10 times a year). If you google the top free apps for OS X, I'd bet that Onyx is mentioned in most of those lists.

As for the safety... While Onyx has sometimes had updated versions (for new OS X) that have had some issues, in my estimation it is regarded as an app that is much safer to use than something like Clean My Mac.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Hello,

Came across this free ONYX software by Titanium.

Anyone using ?
safe ?
effective ?

caveats ?

Bob
It's excellent. I have been using it for over 10 years. It's the only utility I have ever needed.

1. Be sure to only download it from their website.

2. Be sure to download the specific version for your version of macOS.
[doublepost=1543405604][/doublepost]
a) It's a front end for Terminal commands. Far better to know the commands and what they do on the rare occasions that they are needed.

OS X is just a front end for unix, but I like GUIs. I've been using OS X since Puma, and I can't be bothered to remember every terminal command I might need to use once or twice a year.

Running Onyx has never been an issue, and it saves me time from having to use Google and then copy paste seldom-used commands into terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.