Onyx Software Question.....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by youashwag, Feb 7, 2009.

1. youashwag macrumors regular

I have had my iMac for about 9 months and I have had Onyx installed for about the same amount of time. I haven't really used but now I am wondering if I should so that my iMac stays fast and productive. So should i be using it regularly and if so what should I have it to?

Thanks

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I just use Onyx to repair permissions and run general system maintenance every couple months or so. I also use DiskWarrior or Drive Genius 2 to de-frag my directory once in a while.

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Your Mac will run maintenence script if you leave it on over night, but if you think it is getting a little sluggish look in Onyx for the scripts section, and manually run each of them. Should clear out some of the cob webs.

4. dL. macrumors 6502

I guess maintenance won't apply if you leave your Mac sleeping overnight?

dL

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple actually addressed this... twice, I think. The first time, they made some modifications to their cron implementation (?) to adjust how these scripts work and prevent this from happening. The second time, they moved from cron to launchd. My impression is that at this point, this should be a non-issue.

Per this before you worry too much about whether the daily/weekly/monthly scripts are being run, you can look at their output files to check and see when last they ran:

cat /var/log/daily.out
    cat /var/log/weekly.out
    cat /var/log/monthly.out​

6. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

I'd recommend using DiskWarrior 4. One, Apple Genius' use it for basic diagnostics.

Onyx is nice, but it can screw up machines from time to time.

7. jive turkey macrumors 6502

My maintenance scripts run after my Mac wakes up. Letting the computer sleep just delays the scripts activating.

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I've never heard of this happening. Can you elaborate on what it "screws up"?

9. Michelle1617 macrumors newbie

Onyx has sent me crazy please help

I have an iMac which was running a bit sluggish so I searched the Internet and onyx seemed a good bet to clean things up. I did the verify disk and it said it had an error so I clicked repair and reloaded leopard. Since doing that I noticed that a documents files names M.....H.....'s documents has disappeared along with the thousand a files and folders it contained. I've purchased an expensive recovery program but it hasn't recovered it. I'm tearing my hair out as these folders contain loads of photos that mean a lot to me. I stupidly haven't got time machine set up. Is there anything I can do???

10. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Similar case to me, then it destroyed my MBP. It made the screen go grey, and took around 10 mins to load up. I took it back to store, and got my MBP replaced within the 14 days. Honestly don't use Onyx.

11. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

It should be Don't use Onyx if you don't know how to use it or what the options mean.

12. Damers, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Damers macrumors regular

Actually maintenance scripts do run while your mac is sleeping, at least my MBP 10.6.8 does. I, like you, thought that these scripts only run while the OS is awake. I happen to turn on Onyx, which lists when the maint. scripts were last run, and noticed that the scripts were running at 3 or 4 am local time, when the laptop was sleeping.

+1, or maybe just leave the default settings as is. If worried about maintenance scripts there is a widget called Maintidget that just allows you to monitor and execute these maint. scripts.

13. Shrink macrumors demi-god

Shrink

It is my understanding that if MBP is sleeping overnite, not shut down, then the daily maint. script will run when you wake it up in the morning.

The daily script runs...um...daily. The weekly script runs Fri nite into Sat morning.

Question: when does the monthly maint. script run?

14. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

15. encomium23 macrumors newbie

Ever notice how the monthly cycles always sync with your girlfriends'? :rolleyes: