OnyX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Plusbits, May 14, 2008.

1. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

Hey all
    I ran OnyX last night on my iMac since I've installed then uninstalled quite a bit and transferred somewhere near 100GB of files accross to it, so figured it could do with the clean up. I only ran the basic cleaning tools, just getting rid of cache, log and junk files really. Since then, however, it seems to be running slightly slower than before and I also get a blue screen appearing when I start up (not a BSoD, but just a sky blue screen before it loads my desktop). Does anyone have any ideas how I can reverse this or get everything back to normal?
    Thanks in advance

2. MrCrispy macrumors member

MrCrispy

now that you mention it...

you know, I was thinking I was just crazy but I seem to be having the same problem. Installed OnyX, ran its cleanup stuff, now its taking forever to boot.

I will be watching this thread. Hopefully someone knows what the deal is.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

how many times have your rebooted? OnyX clears all the boot caches so your Mac has to rewrite these. after the 3rd or 4th boot it should be snappier. if it doesnt do a repair permissions and your disk from the install DVD.

4. Plusbits thread starter macrumors member

Plusbits

I've booted about 4 times now, and it does seem to be a little better, however I'm going to have to do a compeltely new install of OS X
    Last night, whilst transferring files, the system locked up completely and I wasn't able to click anything. Only oday after re-syncing the mouse have things started to calm down but many still aren't right, so I'm just going to do a clean install and stay away from OnyX in the future unless it's absolutely necessary

5. James17 macrumors 6502

I don't recommend using any third party utility applications on a mac as clearly they can cause damage. My iMac is super-fast and I've never ran any program of that sort.

6. leerobins macrumors newbie

Thank you for posting this

I had this problem about a month ago and it's quite maddening. I ran OnyX as a bit of a maintenance procedure (I do this type of maintenance once a month or so) and the last time I noticed that the computer (a mac mini) was amazingly slow and sluggish when before it was fast and quite zippy. I have rebooted multiple times in the past month and after getting the blue screen of whatever, the computer would finish booting up normally and everything would be fine. The part that was most maddening is that this blue screen would persist for nearly five and sometimes eight minutes. Last week, I noticed that the boot times are shortening, but I would definitely NOT run OnyX on my system again. If I need to do any kind of maintenance now, I would just use the Disk Utilities tool on the 10.5 CD.