Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L2gbrian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
So excited ordered me a new mbp 17 with ssd ooohhhhh sssshhhhnnnnaappaas!!!!! Can't wait till it gets here I can't sleep bout to pee in my pants lol hahaha

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Congratulations! I'm waiting until the next revision. I'm elated and anxious to purchase. I just hope I get approved for the same as cash credit card...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
See, but even if they are, he still has a great machine. Don't forget that! :)
Of course, of course. It's just that he could have paid the same amount for an even better machine just a week or two later. I doubt he'll be getting a couple hundred dollars worth of his machine in two weeks.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I feel your excitement and a whole lot more.

I ordered my MBP yesterday morning and called to cancel the order last night. Got up this morning, called Apple and my credit card company to get the temporary authorizations dropped and went in to Apple. I've just finished transferring everything from my 3 year old HP onto my 13" MBP.

All I can say is "Wow. This thing is gorgeous.". I had an iMac for a while but it sat unused in my room while I enjoyed the portability of my laptop. I should have gotten one of these to begin with.

OP: Sorry if I hiked your excitement a bit more. I'm almost as happy for you as I am for myself. :D

And to Jimmy: I'll never even use this machine to it's full potential so there's no need for me to worry about the improved model on the way.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If you're always waiting for the next big thing, you'll always be waiting. Your MBP purchase will turn into DNF.
Or you could wait until a recent update. :rolleyes:

I'm tired of hearing that "if you need it now, but it". Sure, if it's an emergency, or you don't have a machine. But most of us can stick out waiting for a new speed bump until there's an update.

kwarren

Aug 18, 2007

I'm tired of hearing that "if you need it now, but it". Sure, if it's an emergency, or you don't have a machine. But most of us can stick out waiting for a new speed bump until there's an update.

True again, but perhaps he's just using Safari, iChat, and iTunes. Yes, Arrandale will make those operations marginally faster, but would any user who isn't sitting there constantly running GeekBench tests notice a huge difference? I kind of feel it's equivalent to people who spend $400 for the 400MHz faster version of a processor when buying a Mac (arbitrary numbers, but you get my point). Figures sway a lot of people, but in the end, how many people end up kicking themselves for not spending $x more for xMHz years down the line?

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Congratulations! I'm waiting until the next revision. I'm elated and anxious to purchase. I just hope I get approved for the same as cash credit card...

If you don't get approved for the Apple one, try Best Buy. They sell the same computers for the same price as Apple, but their credit card company is Chase, and they seem to be pretty good at accepting people. There is a web site called "Credit Boards" which has an area called "Creditpulls" and you can see who is getting approved for what cards (people post their credit score, and whether they were approved or not and what their limit is). ;)

Only drawback to Best Buy is you're not eligible to buy that $99 a year membership to the One to One training or whatever it is Apple sells.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
If you don't get approved for the Apple one, try Best Buy. They sell the same computers for the same price as Apple, but their credit card company is Chase, and they seem to be pretty good at accepting people. There is a web site called "Credit Boards" which has an area called "Creditpulls" and you can see who is getting approved for what cards (people post their credit score, and whether they were approved or not and what their limit is). ;)

Only drawback to Best Buy is you're not eligible to buy that $99 a year membership to the One to One training or whatever it is Apple sells.

I don't care about one-to-one training; that's for noobs. :p

I'll check out these "Credit Boards" and see what I can learn.

I believe Best Buy doesn't sell custom machines? I want to order mine online and get a custom-built one (notably, HDD upgrade and processor upgrade).

Maybe I can find a credit card company that will offer 1 year no interest to a college student for ~ $3000. I can definitely pay it off within 6 months (when I get my internship this summer, I'll pay it off in a month), but getting the credit is the problem.

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
I don't care about one-to-one training; that's for noobs. :p

I'll check out these "Credit Boards" and see what I can learn.

I believe Best Buy doesn't sell custom machines? I want to order mine online and get a custom-built one (notably, HDD upgrade and processor upgrade).

Maybe I can find a credit card company that will offer 1 year no interest to a college student for ~ $3000. I can definitely pay it off within 6 months (when I get my internship this summer, I'll pay it off in a month), but getting the credit is the problem.

I'm a fellow College student, I go to TCNJ, and I get offers from Capital One in the mail all the time. They are offering 0% APR until 2011 for me. I'm sure you can get the same exact deal. As for me those offers go straight into the recycle bin.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
True again, but perhaps he's just using Safari, iChat, and iTunes. Yes, Arrandale will make those operations marginally faster, but would any user who isn't sitting there constantly running GeekBench tests notice a huge difference? I kind of feel it's equivalent to people who spend $400 for the 400MHz faster version of a processor when buying a Mac (arbitrary numbers, but you get my point). Figures sway a lot of people, but in the end, how many people end up kicking themselves for not spending $x more for xMHz years down the line?

It's actually not equivalent to spending $400 to get a slightly faster processor. Since prices will most likely remain the same--or perhaps even lower the opposite effect is realized. The person who waits a few weeks gets a *better* value for their money. It might not be that signficant, but its FREE.

Nevertheless, if he's happy with it then great.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
So excited ordered me a new mbp 17 with ssd ooohhhhh sssshhhhnnnnaappaas!!!!! Can't wait till it gets here I can't sleep bout to pee in my pants lol hahaha

I see you didn't go for the Bad Boy Pro. Any reason for that?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

The only reason to wait is so the refurb prices drop :D

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
Significantly better. Hell, my computer that doesn't even have a matte display is much better, yet it doesn't get the moniker "bad boy pro".

Shambo, are you jealous that his machine is more "future proof" than yours?

Ha! There he goes again... :rolleyes:

Congrats to the OP; I'm sure you'll love it!:D

kwarren

Aug 18, 2007
It's actually not equivalent to spending $400 to get a slightly faster processor. Since prices will most likely remain the same--or perhaps even lower the opposite effect is realized. The person who waits a few weeks gets a *better* value for their money. It might not be that signficant, but its FREE.

Nevertheless, if he's happy with it then great.

Great point, Barkomatic. Hadn't thought of it that way. Nevertheless, Macs still aren't exactly cheap, so I guess my point was also sort of about the fact that for a lot of people, the allure of having the middle-tier machine is really strong, but often times not as strong as the rather large price difference.

L2gbrian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
so Im about to install the ssd in the MBP and i was wondering if its faster cloning it from the factories HD (and if so how would i go by doing that) or just plug in and insert the cd's and format it??? any answers please :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.