Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budgie999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Hey all -

This may be a really dumb questions, but here's the deal...

I moved my iTunes library (the song files) onto the HDD in the 2nd bay of my tower.

I thought I would need to make an alias of that folder on the startup disk, but I soon realized that I didn't need to do that at all.

Now here's the problem. I want to delete this alias of my iTunes folder, but I threw it in the trash and when i went to empty the trash, it was preparing to delete the 8,000 files that the alias refers to.... basically my whole song library!

How on earth do i get rid of this alias WITHOUT deleting all the files it is pointing to on my 2nd drive??

help!

thanks,
lawrence

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Hey all -

This may be a really dumb questions, but here's the deal...

I moved my iTunes library (the song files) onto the HDD in the 2nd bay of my tower.

I thought I would need to make an alias of that folder on the startup disk, but I soon realized that I didn't need to do that at all.

Now here's the problem. I want to delete this alias of my iTunes folder, but I threw it in the trash and when i went to empty the trash, it was preparing to delete the 8,000 files that the alias refers to.... basically my whole song library!

How on earth do i get rid of this alias WITHOUT deleting all the files it is pointing to on my 2nd drive??

help!

thanks,
lawrence

If you are deleting 8000 files, then you don't have an alias, you have a duplicate, the original, or the only one. Make sure you actually coppied the files to the second drive. Then turn off/disconnect the second drive, then delete the "original"/"alias".

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.