ooops.... just did it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by olivertom, Oct 4, 2007.

1. olivertom macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Just did the ultimate. Been out, got absolutely wasted and bought an iPhone on ebay. Didn't have the balls to do it sober, but now it's on its way!

I'm hoping to get a t-mobile web n' walk contact on t-mobile. I have one thought though... if i get a contract with a 3g phone, will the sim work in the iphoine?

My reasoon for asking is i want to get a contract with a free phone on t-mobile, sell the phone put the sim in the iphone.

Any advice will be helpful! thanks!

2. JPyre macrumors 6502

You cant just put the sim in and have it work out of the box.

Most people here are unfamiliar with EU services, including myself but i'll try to answer your vauge question. It would help to know what country you're from, and why you cant just wait for O2 UK or T-Mobile Dutchland....

In theory it could would work maybe, not sure though... you would have to have 1.0.2 firmware and then sim-unlock it, which will not allow you to EVER upgrade your phone's software after you do it, every update released past 1.0.2 will gurunteed break the sim-unlock everytime.

Whatever country you're from I'd wait for service to come to you, and not try and make money of a free phone and possibly ruin your iPhone in the process.

Any europeans know what this guy's talking about? Or is he still drunk?

3. JPyre macrumors 6502

Now how did I do this ??? and how do I delete a post?

4. seer macrumors member

Ignore Jpyre

It is very possible depending on what version of the firmware you get on the phone. If it is firmware 1.1.1 just put the phone back in the box and sell it again.... game over for the moment.

However you could be lucky and get version 1.02 or lower in which case just follow this simple guide:

http://tf.erzz.com/2007/09/19/beginners-guide-to-unlocking-the-iphone-for-any-sim-card/

Whether a phone is 3g or not, it still uses a GSM sim card. Europe has a much more advanced yet consolidated mobile network than the states.... everyone uses the same SIM specs and yet we have 3g almost everywhere.

If you carefully follow the instructions above, and never update to 1.1.1 then you will have a perfectly functioniing iPhone on any network you want, all functions working except Visual voicemail. The new features in 1.1.1 are barely worth having.... starbucks wont be rolled out for a long time, wifi store is useless to most (unless you are actually silly enought o buy your DRM infested music from itunes) so you dont need to feel left out in any way.

EDIT: Just thought... I think the operator '3' has some wierd sim cards in some of its heavily subsidised phones so stay clear of them. T-Mobile, O2, Telia, Vodafone, Orange, in fact almost everyone else should be just fine.

5. olivertom thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the response... and yes, I have sobered up.

Here's what I bought...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250172314810&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

In my wisdom last night I guess I forgot to mention that it is already unlocked. I am in the UK by the way.

I think the thing that threw me was the "three" situation. I had a three phone and tried to put the simcard into a phone that wasn't 3g and it didn't work. I was thinking that if I got a contract with a free 3g phone on t-mobile then that sim may not work in the iPhone.

Am I over-thinking this?! :confused:

6. seer macrumors member

Hi guys

Thats my site you linked to and there is an updated version of the guide which is much easier and should allow any firmware up to 1.1.2 to be unlocked (1.1.2 by downgrading to 1.1.1.)

It also guides you through going from the 1.02 firmware with that dodgy original anysim unlock, to a virgin phone, to an unlocked 1.1.1 phone :D

The newer guide is at http://tf.erzz.com/2008/01/09/upgrade-102-unlocked-iphone-to-unlocked-111/

Please let me know how you get on in the comments or here