Ooops! (recovery from emptying trash)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NeoLink, Oct 2, 2007.

1. NeoLink macrumors member

NeoLink

Say I accidentally emptied the trash with something I needed was in there. How can I get it back?

(It was a normal empty, not a secure empty)

Thanks.

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

First, SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY. Boot up another machine and get back online from it. Once you log back in, post again in the thread and we can help you further.

Seriously, if your machine is even on, the hdd is constantly running scripts that slowly write over data. You do NOT want to have the machine on as anything other than a target drive to recover files.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

And now (hopefully after you've logged in on another machine), here are a couple of options:

Data Rescue II (personal preference)

FileSalvage

MediaRecover 4 (for images)

Virtual Lab

Those will get you started; most are shareware, so if thew file is small enough you may be able to recover it without purchasing (or at least know if you can or not based on the trial). Prices vary, so try the cheaper ones first (although I've had the best luck with Data Rescue II, which I purchased for our office). Ideally you want to install it onto a separate computer (or barring that, another bootable hdd or partition), as you will have a lot more luck not using the hdd that you deleted the file from. If on a separate computer, boot the machine you deleted the file from as a firewire drive (hold down "t" just after you hear the boot tone, also called "target disc mode") and connect it to another Mac via firewire. Otherwise, boot from another hard drive in your machine, another partition, or (only if absolutely necessary) the main drive and work quickly.

Good luck!