Oops, i kinda ripped apart the rubber seal around the touchscreen! (Touch 3rd Gen)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chris666wtf, Sep 12, 2010.

1. chris666wtf macrumors newbie

i stupidly tried to use a sowing needle to pick out a cookie crumb that was stuck in between the touch screen and the chrome frame of my iTouch, not knowing there was actually a rubber seal there. later, when i watched The Simpsons on it (full brightness), i noticed a light leak that I had never seen before.

[​IMG]

Looks like this, but only on half of the side of the screen. Only noticeable when brightness is at max and/or in a dark room.

is my ipod touch now a lot more vulnerable to water and dust now? i'm worried that i might have just shortened the lifespan of my iPod by doing such a stupid thing.

what would you recommend for sealing the gap that i've created? are there any solutions I can buy on amazon or something? Right now I have a thin piece of scotch tape covering the gap....good enough?

2. Abscissa macrumors regular

3. chris666wtf thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a chance that stuff could seep too far in and get into the elctronics?

4. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

If it's still under warranty, Apple will replace it due to light leak.

5. chris666wtf thread starter macrumors newbie

Will they still take it back after 3/4 a year? I got in on Christmas. Also will they give me a new or a refurbished one? Since mine is an old model now...

6. Abscissa macrumors regular

I was just joking lol. I didn't even know there was a rubber seal...Does that mean the new ones have gaps? I guess in theory a small, small, small amount of the stuff would work but I doubt it. In fact don't do it. lol

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i would try to get a replacement. My touch 2g started doing this a few months back and it was out of warranty so i'm pretty sure i'm SOL. There is some specks of dust that is horribly visible when the unit is off or on a dark background. In time, it can only get worse. And yes, you will get a refurb unit. Just don't go poking needles at it again. If there is crumb, try and blow it out w/ air only.

8. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

There seriously is that stuff? :O
    I never heard of it,have to get some now. :p