oops, international deal on ebay?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by duncanapple, Jan 26, 2009.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone here has ever sold anything international on ebay? I must have accidentally forgot to check the box that it wasnt available to international bidders, b/c someone in Canada won an auction of mine (I am in the US). Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there anything I need to know? I guess paypal takes care of the funds, but what about shipping? I had a fixed fee in there but not sure if that only applies to domestic shipping and I can ask for more since its international? At the post office, do I need to do anything special? I am really kicking myself, thanks in advance for helping me through new territory. I tried checking out ebays site for answers but it was not very helpful...

2. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I've ended up dealing with some international buyers and thankfully I never had a problem.

I ended up shipping some electronics to Taiwan about 6 years ago. I would never take the risk again.

Canada is the only country I'd feel at all safe dealing with these days.

International shipping is too much hassle.

Take a good look at the terms of the seller protection on Paypal's site. I'm sure they have it spelled out in there.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Not really. I've done several international transactions on ebay: Ireland, England, Canada, Japan. Shipping can be a bit of a pain because you have to fill out a few more forms, but so long as the buyer has a good track record and doesn't seem suspicious in correspondence.

4. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Just make sure to adjust shipping. I have sent a few things out to Ireland and such, just costs a little bit more. I stick with USPS for my shipping.

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Ebay encourages international shipping so they hide the option to turn it off.

I've never had a problem with international shipping. You have to fill out a customs form, but it's easy. The USPS Web site will tell you which form you need. From talking to people, the safest mail systems seem to be UK, Japan, and Australia.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Canada and UK are fine. Covered by paypal if you follow all directions and if it's under certain price.

Other countries are tricky. But surprisingly I never have any problems, although I usually make sure it's to a confirmed address or a business address.

As to shipping charges, go find out how much it cost. If it's really high cost then tell the buyer. Most buyers would probably tell you to honor your shipping price though. You probably want to absorb it as price of not paying attention.