Oops, Re-Installed Windows/iTunes wiped

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DiscoDude77, Dec 24, 2015.

1. DiscoDude77 macrumors newbie

So,

I did a clean install of Windows, not backing up iTunes. My iTunes library is on another drive, however. So, it should be safe. But, I can't seem to get my playlists back - even after pointing the iTunes library to my old directory.

All my music and playlists is still correct on my iPhone. How can I get my iTunes to now match my iPhone?

thanks.

2. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

You might run into a syncing-problem, if you sync your iPhone for the first time on your new Windows (iTunes sees the "old" music on your iPhone and asks, what to do), but you can add the contents of an existing playlist to another playlist on the iPhone itself (the three dots to the right of every playlist)
    First create a new playlist with almost nothing inside and then add the contents of an old playlist to that new one. I did not test that, but the new playlist should be synced to your computer I guess. :)

Next time - before installing from scratch: make a backup of the iTunes database, which is not stored on the external drive by default.

3. DiscoDude77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just getting back to you. I tried your suggestion but I can only seem to add my iPhone playlists/songs to "Up Next" instead of a playlist I choose. Any other ideas? :)

4. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

Strange. This is, what I see:
    - I create a new playlist, do make it play something, just add one title.
    - I open one of the existing playlists (did you?)
    - I click the menu (the three dots), there are four entries:

addtoplaylist.jpg

The "add to a playlist" would be your choice - there is again the option to create a new playlist from the existing playlist.

5. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Download iFunbox and transfer all your music from your phone to your computer and then transfer from your computer into iTunes library.

6. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Playlists aren't in the library folder, they're in the iTunes folder. So they're gone unless you can get them from the phone.

7. DiscoDude77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Axantas the only option I get is "Add to Up Next" still :/ Remember, I'm using iTunes but accessing my playlists FROM my phone, verses my library. I think that's the difference.

If I use iFunbox, can I just somehow get the playlist files? All the songs are still on my computer in their same location.

8. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

Got it: I have two Macs - one with a different music library which I never sync to my iPhone - kind of the same situation as yours

- First you should prevent iTunes from automatic syncing in the "devices" tab of the settings.
    - Connect your iPhone to the computer and open iTunes
    - You should see your phone now, including the (greyed out) music. Select it (the symbol on top in iTunes)
    - On the left side in iTunes you see the list of media on your phone including the playlists
    - Mark a playlist you want to preserve (it's "one by one")
    - In the iTunes Menu select: File - Library - Export Playlist

I have the playlist from the phone on my computer now - there are different formats you can select from in the export dialog. Import the working format in iTunes.