oops...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gameface, May 26, 2011.

1. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I wonder how many pictures were saved from the two cameras that got dunked.

2. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

The original video from 2010 which got pulled from youtube stated that all the gear and pictures survived. Supposedly he went to his car, changed his clothes and continued shooting.

All I know is if my equipment got dunked like that I wouldn't try taking pictures with anything for a while. I would pull the glass and let the stuff breathe for quite a while.

Even though the stuff is weather sealed the money he was getting paid for the gig couldn't pay for that equipment. I would take the loss on the day and get the hell out of there. But I'm no wedding photog. ;)

3. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

There is a reason pros have backup equipment and insurance.

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If the business plan didn't suck, it paid for enough of the insurance to keep going. A good wedding photographer shoots the wedding. The wedding doesn't happen again, and frankly a year's worth of insurance is low enough (at least in the US) that unless you're a Craigslist wedding photographer, one wedding will definitely cover it.

Paul

6. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

You think that dude was getting ten large for that little wedding? You're dreaming.

And sure, insurance, yada yada yada. I have insurance on mine and I'm just a hobbyist. But certainly, any person would completely understand if the guy stopped shooting after something like that. Well, maybe not anyone. Mess with a womens wedding and ***** gonna hit the fan ;)

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Absolutely. A good wedding photographer depends on their reputation. By continuing with the job this one has built their reputation up. If they had abandoned the job, the hit to their reputation would have cost them more than the equipment. And, as mentioned, he should have had his equipment insured for this.

I had an insurance broker tell me that the #1 claim that she sees from photographers is not due to theft, but from wedding photographers who've backed into something. Although, the broker said it's almost always to pay for the damage the photographer has done to the object/person/wedding cake! with their derriere. She didn't say anything about the photographer claiming for damages to their own stuff.....

8. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Sure, any person. Except:

-Bride
    -Groom
    -Their families
    -Anyone who sees the bride or groom or their families facebook posts about how the wiener photographer bailed after he got himself wet
    -Anyone that heard about it through word of mouth

I hope the guy had a 3rd cam somewhere in the mix...

Also, interesting machinegun flash blast to the face approach to shooting a ceremony.... :confused:

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Insurance on ~$25,000 of gear with relatively low liability for onsite (I think $250,000) and rental coverage runs about $500/year. Wedding referrals are a lot of word-of-mouth business- do you think stopping in the middle will help with next season's bookings?

Paul

10. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

This is a perfect example of "you get what you pay for." A craigslist wedding photographer just isn't going to have the ability to recover from a situation like this.

Insurance at $1,000 is covered by the first wedding of the year. Deductible on an accident like that at $500 is easily covered by the wedding and replaces everything. Properly insured, a photographer could come out better from something like shown in the video.

As far as packing it in vs. continuing to shoot: When I help my wife shoot weddings we have 4 bodies and lenses on us to shoot with. We have at least 3 bodies (could be up to 5 if I think I might do any remotes) and other lenses in the bag. Granted most of these bodies are older models but it would take a lot more than both of us falling in a lake at the same time to prevent us from finishing the job.

11. gameface thread starter macrumors 6502

Jeez, you guys can really put a damper on a funny video. :rolleyes: